B is for Big Read Along of Moby Dick with Joe Hill

B is for the Big Read Along!

Author Joe Hill started a Big Read Along on Twitter, when he began reading Herman Melville's Moby Dick.

Anyone who was also reading the book, or who had already read it, could follow with the #BigReadAlong hashtag, and participate in discussions.

I was happy to join because I'd never read Moby Dick before! It was easy enough to start, because I signed up for the DailyLit version:

 

My only trouble is that I still am not a fan of reading on-screen. If I had a paper copy of this book, I might have finished it by now. But snatching time to read two or three Daily Lit snips in one sitting means that I'm still only halfway through the book, even though I quite enjoy it.

Very surprising, given that the only other Melville story I've read is Bartleby the Scrivener, and it still gives me shivers of annoyance every time I think of it!

Moby Dick is different though. It's got a sort of breathless, throwing-caution-to-the-wind tone that I really love.

Meanwhile, Joe Hill created a Pinterest board for the Big Read Along that's fun to browse:

   

He also introduced me to Melville House:


 

Of course, it's also inordinately exciting when an author you admire writes back to you! Or even provides out-of-the-blue unsolicited praise for a band you love:

  

Here's the Whisky Trench Riders song he liked:


Which authors have you written to? Have you signed up for Daily Lit? Or if you've read Moby Dick - what did you think of it?

Comments

That's cool he mentioned your husband's band!
Daily Lit sounds more challenging than just reading the book, but at least you're having fun with it.
Vikki T said…
Just popping in to say “Hi” from the A-Z Challenge List :)

Ive never read Moby Dick i must confess, but it looks like perhaps i should :)

Good luck with the rest of the challenge xx
Gwen Gardner said…
I read Moby Dick a couple of times in college. It is one LONG book! I enjoyed most of it, but some of the descriptions were too long for me. And my professor's explanation of some of it was just...wow.

Enjoy Deniz!
S.P. Bowers said…
I've tried and failed to read Moby dick several times. Maybe someday....
M Pax said…
I've read a lot of classic lit, but haven't yet read Melville. I definitely have to fix that at some point.
Unknown said…
I read Moby Dick in high school--I wasn't a huge fan, but I struggled through it. I haven't tried to re-read it, and I sometimes wonder if I would find it improved ;)
J.L. Murphey said…
I read Moby Dick and a few others (like Tolken) every couple of years in my personal enrichment quest. The imagination of those authors puts me to shame. Great reality check.
Cherie Reich said…
I read the children's version of Moby Dick in elementary school, does that count?

I do love when authors I've admired respond back. Just the other day I had one follow me back on Twitter, and I just thought it was the coolest thing.

A to Z Participant
Cherie Reich - Author and Surrounded by Books Reviews
Jay Noel said…
Hey there fellow minion!

I don't do Daily Lit...I had too much of it in college getting my English degree. Although, I admit, I do get an itch for some Shakespeare a couple of times a year.
I also read Mobi Dick in high school, but then it was just part of the reading to be done. Great post!

~Nas~
Unknown said…
I read Moby Dick long ago as a child-- and began to hate whales. That changed, and this year, I saw my first Blue whale...it was amazing.

Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge
EvalinaMaria said…
Never tried BRA, sounds like a lot of fun!
Trisha said…
I love the part of the movie Deep Impact when they start reading Moby Dick :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for the support everyone! I feel really badly that I haven't been able to finish this book yet. I just know if I had the paperback I would have completed it in no time...
LR said…
I read Moby Dick when I was a kid. I remember that I liked most of it but it also seemed ENDLESS. :)
Deniz Bevan said…
I just got my first iPad! So maybe it'll be easier to read on here...