D is for Doctor Who

D is for Doctor Who!

This wee video appeared on my birthday last year, only a couple of weeks after I'd joined Twitter:


@neilhimself: "I call this video, @amandapalmer and the littlest Dalek..."

Speaking of cuteness, here's a baby Dalek dress:


Steve Manfred, a Doctor Who Expert, tweets live while watching older episodes, and sometimes I really appreciate the insights into the Doctor's frame of mind (please read from the bottom up):


Neil Gaiman (author of the episode The Doctor's Wife) did a recent feature on NPR, discussing his imaginative favourites. At the time, on 28 January he tweeted: "There was a lot of Doctor Who that didn't make it onto the NPR list at http://j.mp/VMaJvi. But the stuff that did is kind of fun..."

I wonder which episodes he was thinking of?

He's shared orts and outtakes from The Doctor's Wife. I happened to be discussing them... and he replied!


Speaking of outtakes, here's one that someone shared a link to: Hartnell and Pertwee acting together, many - many! - years before The Three Doctors:


Hartnell is rather dashing! (Even when he's falling down a staircase!)

And then there's Tom Baker:


And Troughton:


And the Daleks, of course:



It's amusing to poke fun of the Daleks, but actually, they scare me quite a bit, especially in the older episodes where it's more the power of suggestion of terror than actual terrifying acts. I still remember how frightened I was when I first "met" Davros. That frisson of fear was done really well in the last Christmas episode with the snowmen:





Which episodes do you love?
Or, if you don't watch Doctor Who (!), which shows or books give you that delightful thrill of fear?

Comments

Mark Noce said…
Dr. Who, nice:) Good for you for doing the A to Z challenge. I wasn't quite up to it myself. Luv the title of your blog:)
Melissa Bradley said…
I love, love The Doctor and Tom Baker is my fave along with David Tennant. I was so sad when Sarah Jane passed. She was brilliant and my favorite companion.
Donna said…
I never watched Dr. Who when it was "the thing" to watch. We didn't get the channel where I lived. So now, it is harder to get into it. I think I tried one episode a long time ago. Maybe it's time to try again!
Hi Deniz .. I watched a few of the earlier ones but I was really too old - now I watch occasionally - to get the flavour ..

Still a knitted Dalek - is something I don't think I really want!!

But fun for you .. cheers Hilary
S.P. Bowers said…
Never seen Doctor Who though I've always heard I ought to watch it.
Kristen Dyrr said…
This post just makes me happy. I love Doctor Who. Awesome. :)
I've been hearing a lot about Doctor Who lately. I've never seen an episode but now I'm curious.
Lara said…
Never actually seen this show...
Trisha F said…
I watched 80s Dr Who but nothing since then except the odd episode my friend made me watch. ;)

Love the baby Dalek, so cute!!
J.L. Murphey said…
I finally started watching the new Dr Who series this week.
Deniz Bevan said…
Hope you guys enjoy it when you do watch it! I got into the oldest episodes myself, originally just because they were British tv, and then because of the feel of the show/characters itself - a world of magic all its own.

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Reviews Part Two: Tolkien, Rowling, Tremain, and Mercer

IWSG Day and Library Out of Storage!

Summer Reads and Octopus Photos