F is for Fun With Bands!

F is for Fun With Bands!

There's local Montreal band Whisky Trench Riders:



At one point they tweeted: "Whenever I get down, I just listen to the theme from 'Perfect Strangers' and all is well again."



Sometime later they said: "Saturday morning, beautiful day in Montreal, and we're listening to the Waterboys. Perfection!"



Tim Burgess of The Charlatans even has his own fairtrade coffee, Tim Peaks, which came about as a result of a tweet!

Every morning he tweets a Breakfast Banger:


He had a great one back in January:



The other day he also tweeted a photo of his first car, a Triumph Dolomite 1600 (behind is his dad's Austin Ambassador):


And a couple of months ago he was reminiscing about one of my favourite compilation/charity albums: "We recorded a Sly and the Family Stone cover for a @WarChildUKalbum a while back... thought you might like to hear it ;)"



And then there's the first ever Charlatans song I heard, which got me hooked on the band ("Big song today - this one's for @GNev2 for lending me his United shirt!"):



Speaking of Manchester... Turkish radio tweets The Stone Roses:




I'm envious of Californians, who get to see the reunited (!) Stone Roses at Coachella this year, and I sort of feel frustrated that I want to see them but meanwhile this:


Also from Manchester and the NME: "New unreleased Noel Gallagher demo 'O, Lord' surfaces online -listen"

Yet more from Manchester:


And two more British bands:



And now over to Sweden... Before Roxette there was Gyllene Tider, and somewhere in between Marie and Anders were in a group called Mama's Barn (FB photo retweeted by @TheRealRoxette):

Anders was the one I was attracted to...

Back to North America for a recent Amoeba Music "What's In My Bag?" video, featuring Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer:


And then there's the Simpsons:


Ending with the Whisky Trench Riders - here's their second album!

Comments

Gosh, an entertaining post, Deniz!
DL Hammons said…
WOW....that was a whirlwind tour! My favorite band name was the Whiskey Trench Riders! :)
You weave a fun trail through the music industry!
That was GREAT. Immediately put the Waterboys and the Charlatans on my favorites playlist.
Kristen said…
It's great that you post examples of everything. I feel bad for being in Cali and not caring about going to see the Stone Roses. Want to switch? :)

From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com
S.P. Bowers said…
I agree with DH, whirlwind tour, but very educational.
Unknown said…
Fun post! :)
Michael Di Gesu said…
Wow, that is a LOT of cool music! Thanks for sharing Deniz .... And good luck with the overtime next week!
Nas said…
Hi Deniz!

Thanks for an entertaining and informative post!
Trisha said…
Love this post! My friend and I saw Roxette recently-ish. Fun show :)

I've also seen the dude from the Stone Roses, on his own, at a music festival.
LR said…
Maybe we should start our own band. The Whiskey Writers' Trench Band.

:)
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks all, so glad you enjoyed the bands!
Shucks, Kristen, I'd love to visit California!
Deniz Bevan said…
Trisha, you saw Ian Brown? (or was it the guitarist?) You lucky duck!