I haven't done much real work on the novel in the past couple of months. I've been watching Jenny's progress as she ploughs through revisions on her way to the Golden Heart submission deadline - yay Jenny! for finishing. But I've been caught up with other projects, such as knitting, and general laziness, and the weight of guilt was beginning to make my shoulders sag.
So when Rachel announced over on the Forum that this month's goals should be "specific [and] measurable" I jumped at the chance to finally get my fingers in gear.
I announced that I would calculate a specific number of pages to edit per day. The Face of A Lion currently stands at 200 pages (in my own quirky formatting (proper page margins, but Arial size 10 instead of TNR size 12)).
200/30 days = 6 pages a day!
That's it! I can do that! No matter how lazy I am!
And I proved it to myself too - sat down and red-penned my way through 12 pages last night. Which means I can take New Year's Eve off :-)
It also means that my January goals will have to be to type up all these revisions at 6 pages per day...
Books I'm Reading and Finished Books
- The Owl Service by Alan Garner
- So Anyway... by John Cleese
- ***Reading At Intervals***
- Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King
- Beowulf and Sellic Spell by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford
- The War of the Ring - Book 8 in the History of Middle Earth series by Christopher Tolkien and J R R Tolkien (reread)
- What to Expect in Baby's First Year
- Baby's First Year for Dummies
- 11 Doctors 11 Stories by various authors (including Neil Gaiman)
- Creed or Chaos? by Dorothy Sayers
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien manuscripts edited by J. D. Rateliff
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- The Jerusalem Bible
- ***Finished Books***
- Two Caravans by Monica Lewycka
- Aunt Sass by P. L. Travers
- An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten (actually a few pages of the story, written by John Green for the film of his novel The Fault In Our Stars)
- January Brings the Snow by Sara Coleridge (poem)
- Kissing song by Neil Gaiman (poem)
- The Mother by Nettie Palmer (poem)
- William Tell Told Again by P. G. Wodehouse
- Her Ladyship's Companion by Joanna Bourne
- The Long Way Home by Louise Penny
- How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny
- Mes P'tits Contes, legends of Swiss cantons
- see the 2014 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2014/12/books-read-in-2014-review.html
- see the 2013 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2014/01/toast-to-professor-books-read-in-2013.html
- see the 2012 list and statistics here http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-hobbit-review-and-year-end-books.html
- see the 2011 statistics on http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011-statistics-fourth.html
- see the 2011 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011.html
- see the 2010 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2010/12/books-read-in-2010-listed-here.html
- see the 2009 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-ii.html
- also in 2009 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-iv.html
- see the 2008 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-ii.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-vi.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-iv.html