Ioan Gruffudd and Character Photos, and Sharing Old Snips

The other day, Joshua posted a snip from an old work, and then asked me to do the same.

I've already shared my kitchen mystery story, and the strange circus poem I wrote in high school, but here's something else:

First half of an untitled very short story I wrote in 1995:

"gary had a sweetheart, my sweetheart, he called her. she was years younger, it was almost like a father and a daughter; she called him daddy, cos he made her feel happy in a way pops never had. gary was a drunkard like her father but not a bottle-throwing, window-smashing
drunkard, simply a nice chap who grew calm and happy as a child when he was drunk. they had some good times, gary and his sweetheart, lola. other days, it wasn't so tranquil.

but on the nice days, people would come by their flat, people of all kinds. once, they had a circus clown come for dinner, he laughed at odd moments, yet had these long periods of serious silence, when he looked like a chess champion considering his next move. his face would twist up into a determined scowl, and lola asked him if he was trying to solve the problem of world peace. gary laughed, he always laughed or smiled when lola spoke, and suddenly, so did the clown. so they broke out the bottles of wine, and the clown told a few jokes.

after a few months of serenity, gary was fired from the warehouse due to "low performance value from excessive drinking, before, and during company hours." lola was sympathetic, and tried to be caring. even though he did not want to - it was too much effort and he was suddenly very tired - gary could see her mind working, planning where she would go once she had left him. finality hung in the air about them, thick as the fog over the streets of their city."

Joshua's been handing out awards, too! I'd like to pass the Liebster Award on to all the blogging buddies that come by this post:


I've blabbed before, possibly on the blog, and most definitely on the Compuserve Forum, that the only actor I find worthy to play James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser is Ioan Gruffudd.

The other day, I was looking for photos to support my case, when I came across the following still shot from his film Solomon and Gaenor. I saw this movie almost exactly ten years ago; at the end, I cried and cried... It's a very sweet, sad tale of star-crossed lovers.

Meanwhile, since I'm in the middle of Ayten and Devran's story, I'm constantly on the lookout for images that will add to my inspiration (I'm also looking for an image of Magdalena, or Mawdlen, Rosa's mother, for the prequel to Out of the Water, but that is a whole other story).

Imagine my excitement when I saw this image from Solomon and Gaenor, and realised it looks exactly like the scene in Ayten's story where she and Devran find themselves barricaded in a cave:


I've got to finish drafting this story so I can share snips from this scene with all of you...

And now, two fun links:


Susan Mitchell has been posting 15-minute drawings in a sort-of-illustrators'-version-of-NaNoWriMo, and they're absolutely adorable and pensive.

Comments

Love the snippet.It is good to look back at old works.

Isn't it great when a picture supports the image inside your head? Looking forward to reading your future snip.
Anonymous said…
Great snippet. Thanks for sharing! Ioan Gruffudd is underrated.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing your very short story. I also like to look back on old pieces.

Ioan is hot stuff.
Arlee Bird said…
I just had to check out the poem about the circus and I left a comment there. Enjoyed the snippet on this post as well.

You caught my attention because oddly enough I just had pulled down some boxes of old writing that I was going to go through for some material to put on some posts. Answer: yes, I do occasionally go back to look at old writing and sometimes I am surprised by my work.

Lee
Enjoy my delightful interview with Susan Kane on
Wrote By Rote Saturday 11/26
Rekha said…
Interesting piece that you posted here....it nice and at times embarrassing to check old work as the writing can be downright amateur at times.....I look forward to reading more of Devran and Ayten in novel form.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Glynis and Joshua!
Oh, yes, he is, Medeia. So happy to finally be able to feature him a writing-related post [g]
Thanks Lee! Hope you share a snippet too.
Someday maybe I'll share something really embarrassing Rekha. Haven't had the nerve to do so yet...
Arlee Bird said…
Got some old stuff coming up in the next couple weeks and will probably continue to do this occasionally. Be watching on Dec 14 when I'll be sharing on old sonnet I wrote back in college (@1973). I link to your blog in that post and give you credit for the inspiration.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Enjoy my delightful interview with Susan Kane on
Wrote By Rote Saturday 11/26
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Lee! A sonnet, wow. I still haven't attempted to write one.