Talli Roland's Build A Man

Round of Words check in - I had a dry Friday and got a few hundred words yesterday. Trying to write as much as I can in order to devote the last few days of NaNo to typing them all up.

Meanwhile, though, I've been reading - finally got around to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series, and I've also just read Talli Roland's Build A Man, out now on Kindle.

(cover image by India Drummond!)

"How far would you go to create the perfect partner?

Slave to the rich, rude and deluded, cosmetic surgery receptionist Serenity Holland longs for the day she's a high-flying tabloid reporter. Unfortunately, every pitch she sends out disappears like her clients' liposuctioned fat, never to be seen again. Then she meets Jeremy Ritchie -- the hang-dog man determined to be Britain's Most Eligible Bachelor by making himself over from head to toe and everything in between -- giving Serenity a story no editor could resist.

With London's biggest tabloid on board and her very own column tracking Jeremy's progress from dud to dude, Serenity is determined to be a success, even going undercover to gain intimate access to Jeremy's life. But when Jeremy's surgery goes drastically wrong and Serenity is ordered to cover all the car-crash goriness, she must decide how far she really will go for her dream job."

This book was both funny and touching. Serenity draws you in right away - I loved seeing London through her expat eyes and her caustic comments on all the "Botox Bitches". I enjoy the pacing in Talli's books, and this one is no exception - she always has me turning the pages, even if it's past midnight!

I could have used a longer denouement, but that's me, always looking for more romance. Still, it's great know there's a sequel coming, Construct A Couple - yay for more Serenity and Jeremy! Well, of course they get together, what did you expect? But you'll have to read the book to see what happens - it's not necessarily what you'd expect.

Meanwhile, I was a third of the way in before I even realised that the story's told in present tense - the last time that happened was when I read Water for Elephants. Nothing better than a story that feels so real that you forget the craft!

Talli's having a launch party on 7 December:
"Drop by to vote in an interactive poll to construct the 'perfect partner' -- if such a thing exists."

Comments

Unknown said…
Talli's book sounds amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed Willow Watts and The Hating Game so I'm going to have to get this one as well.

Congrats on making it through NaNo. You rock! I was not able to do NaNo this year because of schedule and deadlines, but I hope to next year. My first time was last year and it ended up being a dud,just over 18,000 words. Oy! Third time will be the charm, I hope. :)
Old Kitty said…
Good luck with your Nano!!!! You are nearly there and you are already a WINNER! Good for you!

Hoorah for Talli!!! She's really giving birth to so many fab books before Christmas!! Amazing!! Yay for her! take care
x
Hi Deniz,

I just read a post on Romance Book Paradise about Talli and her books, too!

Awesome books.

All the best on your Nano!
Trisha said…
Oooh, I didn't even realise she was bringing out another book! This one sounds like heaps of fun!
Nas said…
Hi Deniz,

Way to go on the wordcount!

Yeah, I have featured Talli and her books on Romance Book Paradise this week and her books are awesome! Well Talli is awesome as well!
Talli Roland said…
Hi Deniz! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review! :) I'm so pleased you enjoyed it.

Melissa and Old Kitty - thank you! And Trisha, thanks!

Another thanks to Nas for hosting me today.

Hope you all had a great weekend.
LR said…
Sounds good! Looking forward to reading it. :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Good luck for next year, Melissa! I've got 10K to go before Wednesday...
Isn't she best Kitty? I've got to get her mistletoe story as well!
Yay Romance, and Nas - we made it a Talli weekend [g]
Hope you like it, Trisha and LR!
Thank *you* Talli. Can't wait to see more of Serenity!
Golden Eagle said…
Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

Thanks for the review--they're not my usual genre, but I really want to read Talli's books. :)
Wow, you've been busy! Talli has been busy too. Not too many people could survive promoting 2 books in 2 months.
Nadja Notariani said…
I keep saying I'll get around to reading Talli's books - everyone raves about them...Thanks for the reminder.

Hope you're typing like the wind, Deniz! Get you NaNo finished! I'm cheering you on ;}
alberta ross said…
yay you can do it - waiting at finishing line - go girl go
Anonymous said…
Build a Man...what a title! I'll have to check it out.

Good luck reaching the NaNo finish line.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Eagle, Nadja, Alberta and Raelyn!