Theresa Milstein in... Fangtales

Fangtales!

Sounds delicious, no?

Fangtales, edited by Berni Stevens, is the third YA anthology by Wyvern Publications, after Dragontales, published in 2009, and Mertales, published in 2010.

Fangtales visits the terrifying realms of the most popular creature ever to grace the pages of fantasy fiction. The vampire. The tales are fresh, original and scary enough to send delicious shivers down the spine of every reader. Lose yourself in the blood-soaked pages of Fangtales, where a best friend mysteriously disappears, a small child roams the woods alone at midnight, and a terrified girl seeks help when her house is surrounded by hungry vampires.


Theresa Milstein's Allured features in Fangtales, and I'm lucky enough to have her stopping by today to answer a few questions about the story - and more.

Which is the most embarrassing book, movie or TV show that you love?

Where to begin. I watch too much reality TV. I've watched LA Ink, NY Ink (I have two tattoos, maybe that's why). The Soup is one of my favorites. I'm really into cooking shows. Most are pretty normal like Top Chef and Chopped, except for Hell's Kitchen. The most embarrassing? First season of The Jersey Shore. (Should I even admit that?) By the second season, I despised myself.

Getting a good review from which author would make you freak out the most?

Just one? Okay, I can do this. J.K.RowlingLoisLowryJudyBlumeNeilGaiman.

Would you like to be one of your characters, or do you the writer torture them too much?

I do torture my characters too much to want to live their lives. Besides, what makes me able to write YA are my vivid memories of what it was like to be a child and teen. I'm not living those years again. I'm no fool.

Have you secretly chosen actors to play your main characters?

If I tell you, it's not a secret. [good point! but we really wanna know...]


I created an older Italian character, and used Fabio from a previous season of Top Chef. In my book, he's Antonio. When I saw the show where they had former Top Chef contestants, I kept getting confused why they called him Fabio.


Another time, my vampire protagonist who was based on a contestant named Alison from America's Next Top Model. (Oh no, I just admitted another embarrassing show. But I don't watch it anymore. I swear.)


Other than that, I use my own imagination or an amalgamation of two or more people, living and/or famous.

How many times did you rewrite Allured?

I don't keep track. I probably looked it over at least 10 times, maybe 20. Then I gave it to my critique partner, Aubrie Dionne. When I edited based on her suggestions, I sent it to Judy Mintz. After I edited from Judy's critique, off it went to Wyvern Publications.

Which scene(s) in Allured were most difficult to write?

The end of Allured was the most difficult to write. That's when the complete mystery is revealed. Some of it was thought and some was dialogue. I had to find a good balance.

How did you come up with the idea for Allured?

Beats me. Seriously, that's kind of the answer. I read the guidelines for submissions for Fangtales and did some research about the rules of traditional vampires in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Then I just looked at a blank page. A sentence sprang in my head, and I wrote to see where the story would take me. I write in the fog, with a vague sense of where I'm going. Sometimes I know the final destination (sort of) but I have only the foggiest (sorry) notion of how to get there.


The original lines are not far off from this final version:

"I twisted a golden curl in my usual alluring way. Guys loved it when I did that. I lowered my voice, so Reid had to lean in to hear me, his elbows propped on his knees. I locked his green eyes with my gaze."

Do you keep a journal?

No. I've tried a few times in my life, but then I lose interest. For a time, my blog felt like a journal, but I've done fewer essay-like posts since I started working full-time and returned to graduate school. I'm having a hard time squeezing in any writing.

Who was the last person that haunted you?

Nobody, thankfully. Sometimes, I'll get a whiff of a certain coffee scent, and feel like I'm in my late grandmother's kitchen. Or I might have a strong memory of someone who died out of nowhere. In those moments, it's like those people are with me.


I like to write spooky, scary, fantasy but I'm a wimp in real life. I'd like to be placed in Gryffindor, but there's no way The Sorting Hat would place me there.

Deniz, thanks for interviewing me on your blog and being a part of my Fangtales tour. I've appreciated your support ever since we became blogging buddies.

***

Thank you for being here, Theresa, and I wish you the best of luck with Allured and all your writing!
I'd like to be in Gryffindor with you!

Meanwhile, back to NaNo for me - it's helping me no end to keep up my ROW80 goals. Hope everyone else is having a good writing week.

Comments

Deniz, thanks for hosting me. I hope I don't lose too many followers with all that I admit here!

I'll link this post to my blog as soon as I get back. I have to run out for a couple of hours.
Deniz Bevan said…
It's been a treat having you visit, Theresa!
Gwen Gardner said…
Great interview girls! Loved your answers, Theresa. Jersey Shore? *whispers* me too! And Gryffindor? ME TOO! The last HP is coming out really soon - yay!
Nas said…
Hi Deniz, Hi Theresa!

Two of my favourite people together at one place!
Great interview. Loved reading about Theresa's Allured! Intriguing!
alberta ross said…
great interview thanks-really enjoyed it I hope your nano continues well and all the best for coming week
Excellent interview, questions and responses. Honesty allows people to trust you, trust your writing, and trust you magic.

I will read your books because of this interview.

I love a good mystery. Not a big fantasy fan, and yet, I feel your books will be a good fit for my love of mystery.

DENIZ BEVAN thank you for this interview.
Old Kitty said…
Hello to beautiful Theresa! Thanks Deniz for having her here in your wonderful blog!

I have absolutely no idea what these programmes Theresa refers to here are like (apart from Hell's Kitchen) - but I'm guessing they're fabulously compelling in a most terrifically trashy way! I say - hooorah!!!

Oooh I'd hate to return to adolescence too!

Take care
x
Nadja Notariani said…
Fun interview, Deniz and Theresa! Best of luck with your book tour. I've seriously got to get one of those organized for my book...they seem like a bit of fun and wholly necessary to promote! :)

Get back to your NaNo, Deniz. Have a great week of writing.
Deniz, I posted a blog to link to the interview. I remembered I had to post a winner of Fangtales from the Halloween Haunting. Guess what? Random.org picked YOU! What are the chances, right? E-mail me your mailing address at tmilstein at gmail dot com.
Anonymous said…
I've seen Fangtales all over the blogosphere and FB. Good luck, Theresa! The stories sound fantastic. :)
Jessica Bell said…
Erm ... okay. I too have an obsession with trash TV. Did you know that I watch ANTP on YouTube??? Like TEN episodes in a row??? LOLOL

Also, with the journal thing. I don't either. I've always tried to start them. I last a few days into the year and then give up. My whole childhood is full of empty diaries ... hehee

Nice to learn some new things we have in common, Theresa!
LR said…
Nice interview.

I know myself that looking over a short story at least 20 times is no exaggeration. ;) And then you still find stuff that needs to be changed.
Natalie Aguirre said…
Great interview. I actually like to hear what TV shows people watch Theresa. I don't watch many and sometimes find out about ones I like.

Congrats on your story.
Vicki Rocho said…
I just blame those questionable TV shows on the kids. Either they watch them or they lose the remote so I can't change the channel. (I AM capable of getting up to do it manually, but when you're going from 238 to 9, you REALLY have to be motivated to push the down arrow two hundred times. I just suffer through whatever nonsense is on...
Slamdunk said…
Fun interview Deniz and Theresa.

On your haunting question, I am the same way. There is a mix of scents that I catch periodically that transport me back to grandpa's house and me a young child running around in barefeet. It is certainly a pleasant experience and not haunting in the common perception.
Brigid O'Connor said…
Great post, Theresa.
None of us every watch trashy t.v. of course:)
20times roughly to edit, I am so bad in comparison, I need more patience. Good luck with Fangtales, I write in a 'fog' too!
Theresa is a very talented writer. It doesn't surprise me that she could read the requirements of an anthology and whip out a story that they immediately want to publish. I appreciate the research she did in exploring the types of vampires in order to get it right in her short story. Oh and Theresa's perfect author to give her a review is too funny. Let's just mash up everyone into one body heheheh
Thanks for a great interview! That was fun!
J.L. Campbell said…
Cool interview. Haven't read Fangtales. Scary Stuff. :(
I'd love to live in Gryffindor too, though I think it'd also be interesting to take a class with Snape. He's very disciplined (though perhaps a bit too disciplined).
Like Theresa, I also think it would be wonderful to get a review from Judy Blume or Lois Lowry, because I loved their writing very much. Then maybe I could e-mail them and meet them someday.
Katie Gates said…
Terrific interview, Theresa, and nice to meet you, Deniz!
Unknown said…
Wow, great interview. I don't get to watch a lot of reality shows where I live but they do sound interesting. Love getting to know Allured and Fangtales more.
Susan Fields said…
Great interview! I've tried to keep a journal before, too, but I could never stick with it. I feel guilty because you hear all the time that writers need to keep notebooks, but it's just not for me.
Talli Roland said…
Great interview! And mega congrats to Theresa. :) I'm the same - I always try to keep a journal, but I never can...
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Lady Gwen, Nas, alberta and Magnolia! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

You're welcome Kitty! It was fun :-)

Ooh, I hope you do go on tour, Nadja!

Eek! Theresa! I won??? Wow!!!
Great interview, ladies. Thanks for sharing!
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for dropping by, Liz, Jessica, LR, Natalie and Vicki!

Glad you enjoyed it Slamdunk, Brigid, Michael Susanna and Joy :-)

I agree Neurotic - would love to meet Lowry and Blume! I'd dare to take a Snape class with you...

Nice to meet you too Katie!

Thanks so much Clarissa, Susan and Talli! {hugs}
Deniz Bevan said…
Glad you came by, Glynis!
Len Lambert said…
Hi Deniz! Hi Theresa! I'd like to be in Gryffindor with you both, too! :)

I have a journal. I've always done it since I was a teenager but I never really wrote/write everyday. Only when I'm feeling down. I don't know why. LOL.

Geez I'd also freak out if I'd be reviewed by the author you've mentioned! Love them all. I still have to read Lois Lowry's The Giver :)
Arlee Bird said…
I've tried to keep journals but it usually only lasts a day or two. My most diligent journaling effort has been the dream journal I kept in high school.
Congrats on getting "Allured" in the collection.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Deniz Bevan said…
Maybe, Len, if the three of us rush the common room door, the Fat Lady will be so overwhelmed she'll swing open...

Thanks for coming by Lee!
nutschell said…
Awesome interview Deniz! Glad I hopped on over here from Theresa's site. I'll surely be dropping by again!

nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Great interview, Ladies!
Avo said…
Aloha Deniz, what a roundly carried out interview. : j

Jersey shore? Wow... And I thought I was bad with Torchwood and Angel.
That's totally unfair... I have only the vaguest idea what jersey shore is. I wonder what Theresa got out of it... because that's the thing, if you can squeeze orange juice from eggshells, than why not?
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks so much, nutschell, Sharon and Alesa!
Thanks, everyone who has been visiting and commenting. If you've commented on my blog (and you have an e-mail link) I've e-mailed you back. I appreciate your support.

Alesa, it's a good thing you don't really know what The Jersey Shore is because you'd lose all respect for me. But I stopped after season 2, I swear!
Loved the fun interview, particularly the J.K.RowlingLoisLowryJudyBlumeNeilGaiman answer :P
Anonymous said…
Fantastic interview.

I'm now thinking what I'd do if my idols were to blurb me. I would freak out, too.

I'm not familiar with those shows. I haven't watched a reality show in many years, but they were fun to watch.
Jolene Perry said…
Great Interview!!
That was fun :D
Deniz Bevan said…
Thank you Lynda, Medeia and Jolene!
Robyn Campbell said…
Excellent interview you two! (I dreamed I saw this interview all ready and commented. Woke up in a tizzy and remembered I hadn't stopped by.) I suck as a blogger these days. *sigh*

Ahahahahaha, I'm no fool either, Theresa! Smooch!
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks so much for coming by, Robyn!
Missed Periods said…
I would totally watch America's Next Top Model if my husband didn't roll his eyes whenever I try to watch it. I still haven't perfected my smize.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for dropping in :-)