Traditions and Resolutions and Little Christmas

Twelve days of Christmas. No, I won't start singing about a partridge. This is a literary twelve days!

The final task in the Literary Resolutions for 2011 is to: Buy books, give books, talk about books, and spread your love of literature throughout the holidays.

I can't think of anything more fun, and actually, it fits right in with my own goals, as seen in the post below.

Also, Nadja's hosting a Twelve Days of Christmas gift list starting on 10 December. Be sure to stop by!

One of my favourite Christmas stories, besides the Christmas story itself, is Agnes Sligh Turnbull's Little Christmas.

I read it for the first time ages ago in an issue of Reader's Digest from the 1960s, and only recently found out that it's actually a longer novel. The story as I read it (I have a feeling Reader's Digest excised quite a bit) is very sweet, about a couple and their two children who come together for the holidays and the family dramas that ensue - until the mother recreates the Christmas traditions from when the kids were younger, and they work through their problems.

Aw, I know it sounds cheesy when told like that (I can't even write my own books' blurbs!). But now you have a chance to read it for yourself - I've found a copy printed in the Australian Women's Weekly!

"Suddenly a soft, startled flush rose in Margaret's cheeks. She sat there thinking intently, and then she spoke aloud. 'Little Christmas!' she repeated over and over again. 'Little Christmas; now, today, and mine if I want it!'"


(There's a weird quote about Englishwomen as wives in the margins of the newspaper; I can't tell if it's meant to be a joke or not.)
Which are your favourite Christmas tales?

Comments

This is funny. I'm part of a 12 Days of Christmas blog hop right now. I wonder how many of these the women of the blogsphere will come up with by Christmastime. Probably a lot. lol.
Golden Eagle said…
I had to laugh at Michael's comment above because I'd thought about hosting a 12 days of Christmas event on my blog . . .

I'll have to look up that book. :)
Nadja Notariani said…
I have seen there are other Christmas bloghops with the same name! I guess it's a popular theme!

Thanks, Deniz, for the shout out ;}! And congrats on meeting all those literary resolutions!
Old Kitty said…
Awwww!! it sounds adorable!!! Thank you for the intro to this little gem of a book!

Me, I love ghost stories at Christmas!

Now I'm very curious as to what written in the margins of the newspaper..! :-) Take care
x
Nas said…
Hey, I've been watching Barbie and the Perfect Christmas with my three year old a lot! Love the songs and she sings along with them! I do have to look for a christmas book for her now.
Anonymous said…
You know you want to start singing ;)
alberta ross said…
I have every intention to read read this festivities - so many waiting on the shelve on the sony reader - still to buy still to download books books books - have fun

all the best with coming week
S.P. Bowers said…
You know, I don't really have a favorite Christmas book, or one that I must read every year. My grandfather has a beautiful Christmas poem he used to read to us. I need to get a copy of that. Of course Dickens' A Christmas Carol is a classic and a nice read. Hmm, I need to find some and start some Christmas reading traditions with my kids.
I was looking at getting some Christmas themed books to read to my little niece, now will be checking this out. Thanks, Deniz!
Trisha said…
I'm too lazy to host my own, so I just let everyone else do the hard work for me! hehe
Deniz Bevan said…
I'll check out your blog hop too Michael!

You could, Eagle - we could all have 12 days...

Thanks Nadja, and Kitty.

That sounds lovely, Nas!

No one wants to hear me sing, Ryan :-)

Hope you get some reading in, alberta!

Ooh, which poem, Sara?

Thanks for coming by, Reader and Trisha!
Anonymous said…
Oh, I wanted to hear you sing about the partridge. LOL
Deniz Bevan said…
One looooooooooong flat note, Lauralynn :-)