A to Z Challenge - Favourite Books - Stephen King

Bag of Bones, by Stephen King.

I read this novel for the first time back in February, and was bowled over once again by how well Stephen King draws you into the world of his creation. I'd just reread It, and was as frightened and awed as I was when I read it at the age of 13. Bag of Bones has fewer characters, but the mysteries are all there, and the mood, and the deep links between the characters, are very much present. I also learned exactly what Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, a story that has always confused me, is about - and picked up five new words/phrases: evoe, scantling moon, bathysphere portholes, to tump someone over, and to be monotonous, with brain-croggling regularity.

Since this is King, the main character is a writer, and there are some wonderful quotes about writing in Bag of Bones:

"I slipped in front of the word processor and wrote for an hour or so. It went pretty well, as I remember. And you know, even when it doesn't, it passes the time."

"A writer is a man who has taught his mind to misbehave."

"I like people who read actual books... Bookreaders are just as willing as anyone else to start out with the weather, but as a general rule they can actually go on from there."

Story ideas like "glimmers, little 'what ifs' that came and went like shooting stars while I was driving or walking or just lying in bed at night and waiting to go to sleep."

He didn't mention the shower...

Comments

I didn't know about this Stephen King book. He's an excellent writer.
Anne Gallagher said…
I've heard he is an excellent writer but I've never read anything by him. He's just too scary for me.
Steve MC said…
I didn't know it was about a writer. Will have to check it out.

And Anne - same here. Check out Different Seasons - it has both "Shawshank Redemption" and the story made into "Stand By Me."
S.P. Bowers said…
Is it horrible I've never read Stephen King? I'm not big into horror but I see as suggestion up above. I may try it out.
Karen Baldwin said…
Ooooh, Bag of Bones...a good one!
Unknown said…
I've only read one King book (Thinner) But i've heard so many good things about this one. If I ever get space on my TBR pile I may pop it on there. thanks :)

Jamie Gibbs
Fellow A-Z Buddy
Mithril Wisdom
Zan Marie said…
"A writer is a man who has taught his mind to misbehave"--This is a gem! I must be doing something right--Mine is misbehaving lately. LOL!
Unknown said…
Great book, great writer! Just dropping by from the A-Z challenge!

CarolynBrown-Books
StratPlayerCJF said…
Sorry I was out of town yesterday and missed the kickoff, but thanks for visiting my blog! I wanted to be sure and repay the A-to-Z visit -- GREAT blog by the way! (I'm a new follower).

I haven't read any Steven King in quite a while, but I used to devour every word he wrote. This is one I missed, and sounds like a great one. I will definitely add it to my "to read" list!
Anonymous said…
I cannot read IT (or watch the movie) without at least one person in the house with me. BAG OF BONES was good too.
Vicki Tremper said…
Talk about inspiration! Now back to my WIP...
Susan Fields said…
I haven't read any Stephen King in many, many years. My husband's reading 11/22/63 by him right now.
Nas said…
Hi Deniz,
I have a collection of old Stephen King books. Bag of Bones sound awesome!
ah! I love these quotes - they make me want to read this now. I really liked the few of his I've read, especially On Writing. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
I was thinking of BRAVE NEW WORLD. Obviously not Stephen King, but still...
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for the comments everyone! And ooh, if you haven't read King cos of the horror aspect, there are loads of stories he's written where the horror is a very minimal part of things. He has great depth and reality to his characters and settings.
Unknown said…
Pet Semetary and The Stand are my perennial Stephen King favorites. Well, they were until I read 11/22/63. I wonder, tho, do you think life with him and all his characters is a bit challenging? :-)
Great ideas for the challenge, I have definitely enjoyed reading your posts!
Dawn
Deniz Bevan said…
I think you're probably right about that challenging aspect, Dawn. I haven't read 11/22/63 yet but it's on the pile!
Rob and Lisa said…
I have never read this book, but did see the movie adaptation. I love Stephen King as an author and just recently read "Under the Dome." Amazing.

Lisa
http://livethemoment09.blogspot.com
Melanie Macek said…
I read this over 10 years ago. Looks like I'll have to reread it now with a fresh perspective. LOVE Stephen King. Been reading his books for 27 years. My mother used to give me chapter updates when she read Pet Cemetery and after that I read it myself. On Writing was one of the best writing craft books I've read. Under the Dome is one my shelf waiting. Still need to pick up 11/22/63.

Melanie
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for coming by Lisa and Melanie! Under the Dome is on my wishlist... next up is 11/22/63.
Trisha said…
Yeah, I've only read THE STAND and the DARK TOWER series by King so far. Got heaps to catch up on! :)

Nice quotes :)
Deniz Bevan said…
I haven't read The Dark Tower yet!