Insecure Writers, ROW80, and Vine Leaves Literary Journal

Whew!

The Blogging From A-Z Challenge was quite a ride. I missed out on quite a few other regular items while blogging about my favourite books:

First up, and today's another day, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, the creation of Alex J. Cavanaugh. I've been feeling rather insecure lately, the result of having my first chapter critiqued in awesome detail by Julie while I'm out on queries.

I haven't queried in weeks now, and feel as though I'm falling far far behind. I wish I could write well faster! I wish I could have short stories in the dozens to send to magazines and contests. I wish...

But that's the one thing we Must Not Do, right? Never compare your writing progress to that of others. After all - and here's where I finally update in the other group that I've missed, A Round of Words in 80 Days - I do have one complete novel (with a few tweaks to make to the first chapter) in submissions, and the second one's nearly ready for betas, and I've got at least three full-fleshed ideas for stories to follow, plus quite a few more that are glimmers on the horizon.

My goal for the rest of ROW80 is to finish entering all the edits from this current round of Reading The Printed Version, and then either let the novel sit, and wait (not my strong suit!) or send it to betas knowing the feedback won't be as favourable as if I let the story percolate and edit it myself one more time. I'm just afraid - insecure! - that if I set the story aside, and enter the wonderful frenzy of drafting something new, I won't have the guts to return to editing.

One last thing I missed blogging about - the second issue of Vine Leaves Literary Journal is out! Featuring vignettes from, among others, Theresa Milstein and Glynis Smy!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for the heads up about the Insecure Writer's Support Group. I've been blogging about my lost confidence since March. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I added my name to the list.
Nadja Notariani said…
I posted about my tendency to overthink things...don't tell me you suffer from this annoying trouble too? Ack!

Ha. Why do we do this to ourselves? I mean...I suppose I'm thankful that I have Inner Critic, she does keep me on my toes. But as I mention in my ISWG post today...she's an -honest-to-goodness-sadist at times, ripping the rug out from under my feet just when I begin to feel on firm footing. Lol.
Unknown said…
Keep going, we all have to go through this to get to the stage when we know what we've written is good and the fears are much less frequent.
Jenny Maloney said…
You are sooo right about not comparing your writing progress/process to others. The real trick is to figure out what works for you...and for what it's worth, I think you're doing an awesome job!

It also helps to remember that you must pick your battles. If you want a published novel, then you have to work on the novel...and let dozens of short stories go (because whatever time you spent writing the shorts didn't go into writing the novel). Goal setting and prioritizing what you want are key.
Zan Marie said…
Insecure is my middle name. ; ) But I'm combatting that image with THE ARTIST'S WAY. Go, Deniz, go! I think you're doing well and your productivity puts me in the shade.
Melissa said…
You sound busy. Keep up the good work--and you're right. Don't measure your progress against others. Design your very own path. :)
Nas said…
Hi Deniz,

All the best. We're here to keep cheering you on!
Denise Covey said…
Ah, didn't that month pop around quickly!

Denise
LR said…
"I wish I could write well faster."

I think everyone's had that feeling! :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Glad you could join us, Sara!

Hope everyone else is having a more confident month!