I've Finished Editing!, Author Tips, Matilda Cat, and Talli Roland's Latest

Woohoo!

I've finished editing on paper (ROW80)!


Rome, Rhymes and Risk (Ayten's story) is a mass of scribbles at the moment. I don't think I've ever had a story that needed this much scene-moving before. On the other hand, I've never done a substantial edit like this so early on in a story's life; even with Out of the Water (Rosa's story) I went through at least three drafts, if not more, before I printed it all out and tackled it en masse. But I'm trying to develop a quicker pace.

I have all these lofty story goals now:

June: make list of missing scenes for Rome, Rhymes and Risk and write them; continue with shiny new idea drafting in the mornings

July: type up all new scenes and edits for Rome, Rhymes and Risk; continue with shiny new idea drafting in the mornings

August: reread Rome, Rhymes and Risk one last time; continue with shiny new idea drafting in the mornings

September: enter changes for Rome, Rhymes and Risk and send it to betas; type up draft for shiny new idea

October: edit the shiny new idea; catch up on what I haven't finished in September; start drafting for Santiago and Mawdlen's story (Rosa's parents)

November: NaNo! for Santiago's story

December: edit something. Burn out. Take a two- or three-week vacation just to read books off my TBR pile!

All this while v e r y s l o w l y (to avoid rejection, of course) querying Out of the Water.

I wish I was writing here:

(photo from My Turkish Joys)

I'll just have to remember what Ray Bradbury said in Zen in the Art of Writing: "That's the great secret of creativity. You treat ideas like cats: you make them follow you."

Also what Neil Gaiman said about the faces of authors: "Since then, writers have looked like other people even when they write (though sometimes their lips move, and sometimes they stare into space longer, and more intently, than anything that isn't a cat); but their words describe their real faces: the ones they wear underneath."

And all the things Diana Gabaldon says, in a lovely long interview with The Authors Road.

In other author news, last week was the 45th anniversary of Dorothy Parker's death.

Which reminds me, the Algonquin Hotel cat, Matilda, is back at home!


We've been playing a round of The Minister's Cat game with Matilda, and you're welcome to join in for a second round!

On top of that, Bloomsday is coming up! Who's got plans? I might be attending a local quiz night...

In more exciting news, Talli Roland is launching her latest novel, Construct a Couple!



"Is any relationship strong enough to survive a string of secrets?

With a great job at a reputable magazine and a man who's the perfect match, Serenity Holland thinks she's laid the foundation for an ideal London life. When a routine assignment uncovers a shocking secret threatening her boyfriend's company, Serenity decides to leave nothing to chance, taking matters into her own hands. Soon, though, she realises keeping secrets isn't as easy as she thought . . . and the consequences are far worse than she ever imagined."


And there's still lots of time if you'd like to enter my Show me the Words! contest - blog about your writing and editing, and share photos!

Which new releases are you looking forward to this summer?

Comments

Zan Marie said…
Go, Deniz, go! Congrats on the finish of editing...at least this round. You've worked so hard on it.

BTW, I get a little giggle every time I read Rome, Rhymes, and Risk since I suggested the third word. ; )
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Zan Marie! Yup, I think of you when I think of the title too :-)
L.S. Engler said…
Hee, it sounds like your editing process is a lot like mine (probably in that the process seems neverending sometimes, too!). I love how clear and concise your goals are, and that you've got a plan to carry you over through the year. I might have to try a little bit of that myself; my goals have been far too messy lately!

Good luck! It sounds like you're doing incredibly well!
JE said…
Everything seems to go smoother when you have a plan. And you have the perfect plan. Good luck with it!

~JD
LR said…
Wow, just noticed all your projects going on the sidebar. You're a busy bee. Good for you. :)
S.P. Bowers said…
Congrats on the edits! So...querying slowly helps prevent rejection? Sounds good to me. I was going to start slow anyway.
alberta ross said…
great job done - are your feet dancing:) - I like all those word counts on your side bar - maybe I'll have to get a few - I scribble them on bits of paper, backs of envelopes and then lose them:(

all the best
Kate said…
Good for you, finishing those edits! I just finished mine as well. But I'm sending mine to a proof reader instead of a beta reader. lol

Good luck on querying! I really hope it is a success for you. I've heard it takes a lot of time and commitment (hence why I've never done it. I barely have enough time to write). So, kudos to you for putting forth such effort.

Good luck with your goals!
Hey, hey! Congrats on the edits and I love your goals--especially for December ;)
Talli Roland said…
Deniz, thank you so much for the shout-out! :)

And congrats on finishing your edits. I know that feeling!
Nadja Notariani said…
Huge congrats on the wrap up! Nice. You already know your project for NaNo? Wow. I need to think on that and prepare. Arrgh. I made it last year due to having a character profile done on my main characters and a storyline completed. Better get in gear ahead of schedule...right? Ha!
Robyn Campbell said…
Yippee Deniz!!!!!!!!!!! Woot!!!!!!!!

I wish I could say I was finished. *sob* You have some great goals, pal. *jealous*

Talli rocks! Following the linkage...
Congratulations Deniz!

And happy release day to Talli!
Golden Eagle said…
Congratulations on finishing your edits! :)

Good luck with your writing goals. It looks like you'll have a busy time in the following months!
Eden Mabee said…
You certainly like to keep a lot of sticks in the fire! Good for you, especially when it is clear that actually are making things fly with grace and speed. I love your use of a month by month overview. (note to self: must snitch--with your permission of course ^.^ )

Have a great last week in the ROW80 (and thanks for the fun posts).
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on the edits and good luck with your summer and fall goals.

I have Talli's book. I can't wait to read it.
Hi Deniz .. congratulations seems like you're organised - good starting point .. congratulations for all your plans - may they happily succeed .. and enjoy the summer and I agree Talli's book looks good ..

Cheers Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks so much, L. S., Justine and L. R.!

It helps save my sanity, Sara!

Love the image of dancing feet, alberta - I'll celebrate for real when I finish all the gaps in the story.

Thanks, Kate! Hope your story comes back even shinier from the proof reader!

Thanks Lynda and Talli!

I couldn't help it, Nadja, it was such a shiny new idea that I had to explore it.

Yay! Thanks Robyn and Romance and Eagle!

Go right ahead, Eden. I can't keep from making lists and it's fun to see others'!

Thanks so much Medeia and Hilary!
Joy said…
Good luck with all the editing! The more you write, the better writer you become! Cheers, Joy
You are so organised and focused, Deniz. I need to take a leaf out of your book! :D
Deniz Bevan said…
Aww, thanks Glynis. Yet I never feel as though I'm getting anywhere!