E is for Eat, Drink and Be Merry!

E is for eat, drink and be merry!

Author Molly O'Keefe put out a call for her favourite coffee cups!


So of course I had to link to the Charlie Sheen mug that I covet. Ah, endless coffee... Which drink would you like a bottomless mug of?

Then there are the many posts by Theresa's Outlander Kitchen, everything from homemade salt to Cherry Bounce! Just look at this amazing drinks list:


And then there was the hazlenut torte she tweeted to wish Diana Gabaldon a happy birthday, which was originally to celebrate Jamie Fraser's birthday:


Speaking of baked goods, here's a yummy collection from Leah Bevan:


The fun blog Food Through Pages brings to life recipes from books!


Here are the plum puffs in all their glory:


And here's seedcake from The Hobbit, for instance, and Ent-draught from The Lord of the Rings:


Speaking of hobbits, I couldn't let this category go without a reference to Merry himself. And Pippin. One of my favourite parts of The Lord of the Rings, which I look forward to on every reread, is the moment when Theoden and the others approach the gates of Isengard...

"'Welcome, my lords, to Isengard!' he said. 'We are the doorwardens. Meriadoc, son of Saradoc is my name; and my companion, who, alas! is overcome with weariness' - here he gave the other a dig with his foot - 'is Peregrin, son of Paladin, of the house of Took. Far in the North is our home. The Lord Saruman is within; but at the moment he is closeted with one Wormtongue, or doubtless he would be here to welcome such honourable guests.'

'Doubtless he would!' laughed Gandalf. 'And was it Saruman that ordered you to guard his damaged doors, and watch for the arrival of guests, when your attention could be spared from plate and bottle?'

'No, good sir, the matter escaped him,' answered Merry gravely. 'He has been much occupied. Our orders came from Treebeard, who has taken over the management of Isengard. He commanded me to welcome the Lord of Rohan with fitting words. I have done my best.'

'And what about your companions? What about Legolas and me?' cried Gimli, unable to contain himself longer. 'You rascals, you woolly-footed and wool-pated truants! A fine hunt you have led us! Two hundred leagues, through fen and forest, battle and death, to rescue you! And here we find you feasting and idling-and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? Hammer and tongs! I am so torn between rage and joy, that if I do not burst, it will be a marvel!'"

You see? They left all this out in the movie! One of the main reasons I'm critical of the films...

What other food and drink would you bring to the blog feast/fest?

Comments

I wonder what Ent-draught would taste like.
Just don't eat, drink, and beat Merry.
All George R.R. Martin does in his books is talk about food (and describe it).
Michael Di Gesu said…
Deniz,

YOU ARE KILLING ME.... Endless COFFEE and that Hazelnut TORTE!!!!!

What possessed me to drop in on you today.... Oh, Yeah ... HI!

Missed you! THIS A-Z is crazy.... I sadly have limited wifi and can't get around as much.... major bummer!!!!!
Guilie Castillo said…
What a treat--that scene from the Two Towers is one of my favorites, too. Sadly, I lost my LOTR books in one of many moves, so to find it reproduced here is a gift :) Thank you!
S.P. Bowers said…
Too much was left out of the movies, yet somehow they had enough room to write their own plot lines...
Angela Brown said…
I am suddenly over wrought with a need to eat sweets and drink merrily with Merry :-)
Su-sieee! Mac said…
I want something sophisticatingly, yummily sweet to eat now, thank you very much. Maybe it's time for a trip to the bakery. . . .

You can find me doing the A to Z chachacha at
Take 25 to Hollister
Don't be a Hippie
J.L. Murphey said…
I just got insulin free from my diabetes and you pour on the sweet stuff. You're a mean one Mr. Grinch.
M Pax said…
I had 2nd breakfast today [an apple]. Those plum puffs look amazing. I had to give up coffee, but have been enjoying Yerba tea... and hot chocolate.
Unknown said…
Ah a fellow foodie. I thought you felt like a kindred spirit.
Kristen said…
Stop, you're making me hungry! :) For me bottomless cup, I'd like hot chocolate please. Or perhaps a latte. Or maybe combine the two and have a cappuccino. :)

The A to Z blog said in the latest post to add a link to your own A to Z blog in the comments, so here's mine: kristenhead.blogspot.com
Carol Kilgore said…
Ack! I just came from another food blog that made me hungry. I got pistachios and a beer. Now I see this. I'm going to be forced to actually COOK!

Stopping by from A-Z.
Deniz Bevan said…
Never, Alex!

I still haven't read any GRRM, Michael...

Hee hee, don't mean to torture you Michael - but I wish I was having a latte right now!

Glad I could help Guilie!

Exactly how I feel Sara :-)

Me too Angela and Su-sieee!

If it helps, Jo, I never put sugar in my coffee...

Yum, hot chocolate, M!

Thanks, Melanie :-) *passes across some hazelnut torte*

I'd love that combination, Kristen!

Pistachios and beer sound good too, Carol!
I like Charlie Sheen's coffee mug too, and even though I think he's kind of weird (though he seems to have calmed down a bit), I miss Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men. The show just isn't the same without him.
I'd bring pizza to the blog feast, because everybody likes pizza. Or at least I do. :)
Trisha said…
That torte looks so good. omg!

I love eating and drinking and being merry :)
Deniz Bevan said…
I agree, Neurotic! And yum, pizza.

Followed by hazelnut torte, Trisha! Mmm...
Unknown said…
Well, I wouldn't be bringing along the Slippery nipple! Crikey!

And I love that snippet out of the Lord of The Rings - my favourite book :)
Unknown said…
Those plum puffs look amazing!
Hi Deniz .. I love seed cake - see my "N" ..

I try not to look at food blogs - as it all gets out of hand!!! Addictive to say the least ..

The neverending mug - sounds interesting .. I'd have to have water - otherwise after a while I'd get bored!!

Cheers Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Wendy, Lara and Hilary!