M is for Medieval Images

M is for medieval images.

I started following medievalists on Twitter for research, originally. But they share so many interesting facts and photos that I soon became fans of them in their own right. And then the whole Richard III discovery happened - but that's for another day (X, actually, for X marks the spot!).

One of most prolific posters is historian Erik Kwakkel. Recently, he shared an article on medieval script and its connection to modern handwriting. Also, he shared a link to a medieval book search. And here's Alcuin the Scholar on Anglo-Saxons.

And lots of interesting photos!

Merlin

A dragon

Pub!

Oldest New Testament fragment

A story idea?

Another historian is Susan Abernethy. A while ago, she linked to an essay on Charles II's mistress Nell Gwynn.

Here are a few of her Ottoman photos:
Landscape

Calligraphy

Sultan Suleyman

Calligraphy

Military band (listen to a song on my Constantinople playlist!)

Also, there's Sarah Peverley:


Music


Skating


Adoration of the Magi

And more medievalists, sharing articles on Byzantine chapels sealed under Turkish mud, monks in California reconstructing a monastery from Spain, images from an illustrated Life of St Cuthbert from the 12 Century, and a newspaper from 1665.

Then there are maps:

North America:

London:


And a medieval comic strip!



Comments

Hi Deniz .. there's so much history you've included here ..

Including Alcuin of York .. which really sparked my mother and I off ... into delving into aspects of interest. I found things about Alcuin and Charlemagne and read them to my mother after she was stroked - -- I guess really my interest in history was sparked by the card left by the Chaplain .. with a quote from Alcuin of York on it ...

Cheers - I'll be back to listen to the recording .. Hilary
A comic strip - wow. Thought the caption with the dragon was funny.
Trisha said…
I am clearly missing out on a lot of cool stuff on Twitter! I really must get my 'stuff' together ;)
Bevimus said…
Wow! I am overwhelmed! It's so wonderful the vast amount of information so readily available now. And I highly approve of your facination with history- there are few things better in this world to be fascinated by!
Great post for M!
nutschell said…
i love history and i love that you introduced us to Erik! I'll have to go check out his site:)

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Zan Marie said…
Be still my heart! Oh how I love anything Medieval!
J.L. Murphey said…
Great Medieval stuff! I particularly love the illuminated text.
Deniz Bevan said…
It's so exciting that you guys are excited by this stuff too!
Kristen said…
I love Medieval images, and I love maps. You have several images there that combine both, which just makes me love this post even more!

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com
Richard Miles said…
This is fascinating stuff. I don't know much about this area, but it's great to learn :-)
I really like the Ottomon calligraphy on the leaf.

That M at the top of the post is great. I want to make that the "M" in "Milstein."
Deniz Bevan said…
Guess what, Theresa - it's free! Get it at the Daily Drop Cap page!