N is for Neil Gaiman

N is for Neil Gaiman.

I suppose all of you guessed I'd mention him at some point. What can I say? Besides the fact that I'm still knee deep in reading Sandman for the first time, and his fun Blackberry project A Calendar of Tales just happened, and he's got a new book out... There's lots going on!

Here's my nephew reading Neil's Chu's Day:


Here's Neil learning to tango with Amanda Palmer:


And here they are in comic form:


A couple of months ago he tweeted: "I am writing this in the dark while my wife sleeps beside me to say that I am the luckiest man alive. And that love is worth everything."

There are a few stories I haven't read yet:

The Rhyme Maidens poem, read aloud. His short stories in the Psychos anthology and the Rags and Bones anthology. And an animated zombie short story!

If you'd like to win "the coolest rarest thing out there, a 1st edition STARDUST ARC, investigate this link." I might enter this contest/donation to Heifer International someday.

Neil was also featured on NPR Morning Edition, talking about some of his favourite books and tv shows.

Here he is recreating Amanda's map of Tasmania photograph:


And here's a video of a portrait of him: Neil stands there.

Finally, here's his wonderful Make Good Art speech:


Hope everyone's having a great A to Z! I'm trying my darndest to keep up with all the posts - please excuse me if I don't visit for a couple of days or miss a few of your letters!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The more I learn about Neil Gaiman, the more I love that man! Thank you for sharing more information about him. He is a genuinely beautiful and inspiring person!

Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
Linda G. said…
PERFECT choice for N. I love Neil Gaiman. :)
J.L. Murphey said…
Well it's halfway over Deniz and then you can breathe again, or more like rapid panting or a sigh of relief. I've enjoyed reading all the posts in A to Z of those I follow.
I love Neil Gaiman. It doesn't surprise me you've featured him for N.

He's going to be in Cambridge once in April and once in July. I'm going to try to see him both times. I can't wait!

What a lovely quote he wrote about his wife. How nice it would be to have someone write that about me. Sigh.
Unknown said…
Neil Gaiman. Great choice.
martine said…
Thanks for the links, am going to go and listen to some of the stories.
Love is worth everything.
Unknown said…
You know how I know you're cool? YOU PICKED NEIL FOR M! :D

Don't get me wrong, I love his writing. (Did you hear they're making Neverwhere into TV series on BBC?!) But it's his wisdom on writing--and pursuing the artistic life--that have me so in awe of him.

Would love to win that copy of Stardust, too. :)
Michael Di Gesu said…
I have to agree, Neil is the coolest....

Terrific pics, Deniz! Off to enter that fantastic contest!!!!
mel said…
I'm a fan of Neil too! I attended his talks a few years ago in Singapore and had so much fun! He has such an entertaining personality that goes perfectly with his brilliant storytelling in the written form. Cheers, Mel (melch.wordpress.com)
DMS said…
I have been in love with Neil for years. Ever since I started reading his books and learning about him I have been in awe. I love, love, love The Sandman series! All of his books have a special shelf all to themselves. :)

I saw him speak a few years ago in Boston and it was just magical. I loved this post. Thanks for sharing!
~Jess
I was wondering yesterday who would be harder to get an interview with: 1) Neil Gaiman or 2) Matt Smith (the guy that plays the current doctor on Dr. Who.
S.P. Bowers said…
Should have known you would pick him for N. Great post!
The Daily Bern said…
I love the apron.
Shawn at http://laughingatlife232.blogspot.com/2013/04/elitists-and-how-to-care-for-them.html
Great information on Neil today! Thanks!

Nas
Golden Eagle said…
Neil Gaiman is amazing. Love your tribute post!
Deniz Bevan said…
So glad you all enjoyed it! I'm hoping Neil comes to Montreal on his current tour.
Michael if you ever interview either or both I'll be very jealous!
Jeff Hargett said…
So I take it you've heard of Neil Gaiman... :)
Kristen said…
Love your post! I always love a post with multiple types of media (photos, videos, etc). It really paints a picture! :)

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com
Deniz Bevan said…
Only a year ago, Jeff...
Thanks Kristen!
Anonymous said…
Rather embarrassed to say I haven't read nearly enough of Neil Gailman. However, the more I learn about the man, the more impressed I am.

And that quote about his wife...what a lovely thing to tweet!

Great addition for the A to Z. All the best for the rest of the month!
Unknown said…
Great author! Why am I not surprised he made an appearance here? ;)
Ida Thought said…
I have never heard of Neil Gaiman - I love that quote.. it ties in nicely with my P for purpose post tomorrow - I think I might have to borrow it? - I can see I have to come back and learn some more from your blog thanks :)
Jocelyn Rish said…
Besides being a great writer, he really does seem like an all around great person.

Hope you’re having fun with the A to Z challenge,
Jocelyn