T is for Tolkien

T is for Tolkien. Mais bien sur!

Here's me preparing a tweet for Tolkien's Birthday Toast:


Others had the same problem:


Here's Chaucher tweeting him happy birthday: Chaucer Doth Tweet ‏@LeVostreGC: "Alasse i Lirillon merendenna! Happye Birthdaye to J. R. R. T., the man who did so muchel for ower beloved Beowulf, Gawaine, and myself."

Here's an intriguing post on Tolkien and Lewis' executors: Pieter Collier ‏@TolkienLibrary: "#Tolkien Christopher Tolkien, Warren Hamilton Lewis, and Laurence Housman: Earlier this week, somebody called JP..."

A timeline of the One Ring!


Here's a nice article about Belly Ballantine reminiscing about publishing Tolkien in the United States. And here's a promotional leaflet from George Allen and Unwin.

And here's a wonderful set of photos of Tolkien and his wife in 1961.

Here's Tolkien by a tree:


And here's me in a tree:

Finally, Silver Leaves is calling for submissions!

Which author's birthdays do you celebrate?

Comments

I think Tolkien's birthday should be a national holiday so that I have paid time off of work to think about this man's contributions to society and perhaps raise a beer to him.
That last photo made me laugh!
S.P. Bowers said…
man, I'm getting old. It's been years since I've climbed a tree.
Susan Kane said…
Tolkien is the one author who deserves a holiday, at least in New Zealand, South Africa, and England. Amazing author.
Unknown said…
What would the world (ok, the world of books) be like without Tolkien? Surely a much less interesting place!!
Silvia Writes said…
Very cool post. Can't say I celebrate an author's birthday ... although it's a great idea.

Silvia @ Silvia Writes
Jeff Hargett said…
Great Minds Think Alike. Here's to Tolkien!
To Tolkein!

Thanks for the informative post, Deniz!

Nas
That last picture of the tree is my favorite; I think it'd be nice to sit in its shade and read or write. I must confess that I haven't read any Tolkien (though I know I should), but I did watch the LOTR movies. I haven't celebrated any author's birthday, but if I did, Jane Austen's birthday would be my first choice.
Beth Camp said…
Hello, Deniz. Thanks for visiting! I haven't written my "T" yet . . . but your post is inspiring. Tolkien yet. Impressive. With cats!
Richard Miles said…
Great post - Happy birthday, JRR :-)
Michael Di Gesu said…
YAY... TOLKIEN...

A FELLOW TAURIAN.... We bulls know how to sling the "bull" to make it interesting. LOL.
Michael Di Gesu said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said…
Yay for Tolkien! Where would we be without JRR? :)

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com
Deniz Bevan said…
I agree wholeheartedly, Michael!
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for coming by everyone!
Deniz Bevan said…
Say, Richard, when I click on your name it says "profile not available" - how can I see your blog?