Photo Interlude and An Unidentified Object

Progress...not so much. I've got bloggers to catch up with, three book reviews to write, a short story to edit, and more words of the new story to draft to meet my minimum goal for CampNaNoWriMo.

But we've been playing tourist again... A few random shots:

Alpine Horn concert!
Stained glass at the Ariana Museum
View from a window at Ariana
Swiss images: William Tell, and the Geneva coat of arms
Tethys!
Swiss alpine flora
A pub sign
The layout of Geneva in the 19th century
View from the Maison Tavel, oldest house in Geneva
A crib!
Kakelorum, a child's toy from the 19th century
More coats of arms

The kakelorum is intriguing. It seems to be specific to the Swiss and Austrian alpine regions.

What other ancient toys have you come across in museums or in research?
In a related note, can you help identify this item in Bardstown, Kentucky?

Comments

Zan Marie said…
Oooh! Stained Glass!!!! Let me see! :-D
Denise Covey said…
I'm loving the way I'm seeing so many more photos on blogs these days. Thank you Deniz. I know you've always generously shared pics with us. These are lovely. Can't help you with you unidentified object! :-)
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks, Denise!
There was stained glass in every window on that floor of the museum, Zan Marie! Remind me (ha ha!) next time I'm on my laptop where all the photos are and I'll send others. They were really lovely, especially since it was a sunny day.
Hi Deniz - the Ariana museum looks to be fascinating ... lovely works of art on display or to look through or at - the stained glass is glorious.

The kakelorum is intriguing isn't it ... it's 'similar' to a pinball machine that's recalibrated to stand upright ...

I came across Mancala - via Nigeria ... it's in Wiki ... but the image was a better one ... still it seems to be a game across the middle east, north and middle Africa and spread into Asia ...

Would love to hear the Alpine horns in situ .. cheers Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks, Hilary! They had a weekend festival and the Alpine horn players were on at a park near our place. Only for about 15 minutes, though.
Hope you can visit and we can go to the Ariana Museum together!
S.P. Bowers said…
Progress? What's that?
Deniz Bevan said…
Ah, the elusive progress fairy... She's the one that appears just when you start thinking "I'm getting ahead!" and sprinkles you in book-review/new knitting/shiny new idea dust!
sage said…
I like the crib (and the symbolism of it being in the form of a boat)
Deniz Bevan said…
Me too, sage! It'd be fun to get a carpenter to make one...