C is for Lord David Cecil (A to Z on Tolkien and the Inklings)

C is for Lord David Cecil, part three of my series on the Inklings.

Also declaration of my ROW80 goals for Round Two:

First goal is obvious -- keep up with the A to Z!

Second goal is to keep wading into the TBR pile. I've got less than a month now to read all the books in the house (the ones I'm actually going to read, at least, not the ones belonging to others, etc.): the Library in English book sale is coming up fast!

Back to Lord David Cecil, biographer, critic, Fellow, and Professor. I haven't actually read any of his books; looking at his bibliography, I'd quite like to read The Fine Art of Reading and Other Literary Studies and the collections of verse that he edited.

I'm not yet clear on the connections, but he knew the actor Richard Burton, possibly through their mutual friendship with Nevill Coghill -- coming the following Saturday under N!

I've recently discovered the BBC Genome project, which "contains the BBC listings information which the BBC printed in Radio Times between 1923 and 2009. You can search the site for BBC programmes, people, dates and Radio Times editions. We hope it helps you find that long forgotten BBC programme, research a particular person or browse your own involvement with the BBC."

Through the site, I've discovered the vast collection of BBC Desert Island Discs, the programme that, since 1942, has invited guests to choose the eight records they would take with them to a desert island.

And, apparently, Lord David Cecil was one such guest (click on the photo for the link):




Which records (music, spoken word, e-book...) would you want to have with you on a desert island?

Comments

Hi Deniz - I'll enjoy listening to the Desert Island Discs programme with Lord David Cecil ... you're uncovering gems ..

Oh gosh - which record would I want on a desert island ... one of some African music ... and a general history of most of the world ... so when I return and get rescued - I have some sensible remembrances!

Cheers and have a good week - Hilary
Hi Deniz .. I couldn't get in - nor could I via the BBC site here ... they said they had a server problem ... so it may be something we need to come back to - just thought I'd let you know. I'll try later on ... cheers H
That's cool they are compiling a listing of all the radio programs.
Suzanne said…
Live in England but never knew about the BBC genome project :)
Suzanne from
Suzannes Tribe
Random Musings said…
I don't think I could choose just one song to take to a desert island, and I certainly couldn't choose just one book!
Debbie
Michael Di Gesu said…
Hi, Deniz,

Sounds like so really cool recordings!
Deniz Bevan said…
Hope it worked for you, Hilary! I downloaded the mp3 file from the site. Love your idea of bringing along a history of the world!

Thanks for dropping by, all!