E is for Various Guests (A to Z on Tolkien and the Inklings)

E is for various guests of the Inklings, such as Eric Rücker Eddison (author of The Worm Ouroboros) and Roy Campbell.

Before I get to them, just a brief note to thank everyone for their comments so far. The A to Z is in full swing but I haven't caught up yet! Going on my blog rounds this weekend, I hope.


With Eddison and Campbell, I can't do much better than letting you read the Inklings' views of them in their own words.

Here are two pages from Humphrey Carpenter's biography of the Inklings, detailing their meeting with Eddison:


 And here is Tolkien, in a letter to his son Christopher in 1944, relating his meeting with Campbell:


Do let me know if you can't read them and I'll share higher resolution copies.

Today is Insecure Writer's Support Group Day! In keeping with my A to Z theme, I note the importance of a group of readers and supporters -- not necessarily other authors. For instance, Tolkien stresses a number of times how invaluable Lewis's support was in getting him to finish writing The Lord of the Rings. Having a reader champion your stories, and beg for more, is a wonderful boost to an author!

And don't forget to vote in the WRiTE Club playoffs!

Which writers or other creators do you support?
Talk up your favourites in the comments!

Comments

sage said…
I have a number of writer friends in a number of genres, but have only been in a writing group for the past year--and I am enjoying it and learning more.
Crystal Collier said…
Getting caught up on the A to Z... I'm just getting started. Okay, okay, I'm technically on break, but today is an exception. Had to come see all my friends I've been missing. SO, hi!

Crystal Collier
Karen Baldwin said…
Having critique partners is key to getting published. Family and friends aren't in the business to know how to guide a writer other than encouraging them, which is necessary...but a writer needs more - at least this insecure writer does.
Tolkien and Lewis were great supporters of each others' work.
Hi Deniz - I can read them (just) ... so could make a plan to make them easier to read.

Re groups - Bloggers can be greatly encouraging too ... cheers Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks all! YOu're right, Hilary, I love how encouraging this blogging community is!
Deniz Bevan said…
Hi Hilary, just realised you were asking for bigger copies... I'll have to go back and find the originals in my email!