Tolkien Reading Day and A to Z reveal -- 1000 posts!

Today is Tolkien Reading Day!

"Tolkien Reading Day is held on the 25th of March each year.
It has been organised by the Tolkien Society since 2003 to encourage fans to celebrate and promote the life and works of J.R.R. Tolkien by reading favourite passages. We particularly encourage schools, museums and libraries to host their own Tolkien Reading Day events."

The best part is, "To celebrate this year’s Tolkien Reading Day, the Society is hosting an event a day of events at the Story Museum. As part of the day, the Society has obtained the permission of the Tolkien Estate for live storytellings of Mr. Bliss."


Why is this exciting? Because a certain someone has just discovered Mr. Bliss for the first time, and we are now reading it every night!



And now... The A to Z Challenge!

Back in 2011, I held a week-long contest to celebrate the fact that I'd reached my 500th post, after nearly four years of blogging.

At the time, I sorted many of my previous posts into groups, which made for easy referencing, especially of story material. (Also because I've never tagged my posts!)

When I celebrated reaching my 1000th post (during last year's A to Z Challenge!) there wasn't time to sort all the posts between 2011 and 2016.

What better time than now?

I’m actually going to go over 1,000, and collate all posts to the end of 2016! And I’m going to link to every single post (except for the A to Z posts, which are mostly summarized), something I didn’t do in my original 500 compilation, or even in my 900th post compilation.


It’s been really fun going back over these posts. I can’t imagine how anyone could get tired of blogging or ever run out of ideas. There are so many travels and books and blogfests and inspirations and more to explore. And the blogging community is especially wonderful!

One thing I noticed in relation to my writing is that, notwithstanding the four or five novels I’ve drafted since then and the short stories I’ve completed, all of my editing work has been off the rails since 2013, mostly because I keep switching from one project to another. Since January, however, I’ve been on a much more solid schedule. This month I’ve been working on the query letter and synopsis for Druid’s Moon, and going over the brilliant feedback I got from betas, and there’s a new writers’ houseparty wreaking havoc in San Francisco, 1860!

I’ve also got to enter all my handwritten edits for The Charm of Time, to have it ready for betas by the end of May.


As a special bonus during the A to Z Challenge, I’m also going to feature some fellow bloggers each day! Let’s start with this year’s co-hosts:

Arlee Bird @Tossing It Out

Zalka Csenge Virág @The Multicolored Diary

John Holton @The Sound of One Hand Typing

J Lenni Dorner @Blog of J. Lenni Dorner (first year on the A to Z Team)

Jeremy Hawkins @Hollywood Nuts (official A to Z graphics)

Alex J. Cavanaugh
 @Alex J. Cavanaugh (advisory and support)


Will you be participating in the A to Z this year?
 Have you ever blogged on a theme?

Comments

Hi Deniz - gosh you're organised ... and what fun that little Miss is reading Mr Bliss ... wonderful. The story museum has a delightful outside ... we walked past when I was in Oxford last year ... I'm sure there'll be lots of events around the UK.

I quite agree re ideas, or not being tired of blogging and in my case educating myself in many ways ... fun through bloggers, as well via the posts I write up (or draft as is often the case) ...

It'll be excellent to see the bloggers you feature during the A - Z ... enjoy and I will see you there ... cheers Hilary
I can't imagine organizing so many posts.
I can't imagine running out of blog post ideas, either.
Hey, cool new blog layout!
sage said…
I am debating on doing the A-Z this year (I did it last year, but am much busier this year).

Back in the late 70s, there was a festival that tied together reading of Tolkien and playing Wagner's Ring Trilogy together--it sounded like a fun and all day in the park kind of event.
Nasreen said…
Oh my! You are organised! I wouldn't be able to do all that!
Nicola said…
What an adorable photograph. So pleased you get reading time together. That used to be my favourite time of day with my daughter.
Nas said…
Well done, Deniz. You got it all ready and scheduled?
Arlee Bird said…
I've yet to run out ideas--on the contrary I have more than I can write about and I don't plan to ever go back to daily blogging in order to try (other than the daily A to Z blogging).

Congratulations on the 1000 milestone. What an undertaking to organize all of them!

Have fun in April with the A to Z!


Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out
Deniz Bevan said…
Thank you, all!
My daughter was an avid fan of Little Toot when she was small. Now it's Welcome to Night Vale.

I love the idea of organizing all your posts. I've recently finished scanning travel photos, and think there are more than a few blog posts in there, once I get them sorted.

I'm also doing A-Z. You can find my contact info below.

Slices of an Unschooling Life
@shanjeniah
Indie Writer, Mom-in-Chief, and Joyful Learning Facilitator
Shan Jeniah's Lovely Chaos