Top 10 Favourite Book Covers! Also, I'm Not Doing the A to Z But...

Another linky post!


This year, I'm not doing the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, but am sharing weekly linky posts anyway!


I'd meant to do one each day, reposting travel photos for each letter, but unfortunately couldn't find the time to arrange them in advance. Happy to report that my ROW80 goals are coming along -- all my schoolwork is done! And I have a week off in which I can hopefully start entering the handwritten edits for The Handful of Time. Then to catch up on blog comments!


P is for...St Prex

Q is for...all the places missing photos, mostly visited before I started this blog (10 years ago!), because I couldn't find a place for Q!
Aberdyfi
Amsterdam
Brussels
Cardiff
Canterbury
Dublin
various towns in southern France
Grasmere
Holmfirth
Holyhead
Liverpool
Manchester
Newtown (Wales)
Penzance
Ramsgate
Thirsk
Washington, D.C.

R is for...Rolle

S is for...St Lawrence Valley, including lavender fields and driving back from Chicago and milking a cow at Upper Canada Village! Plus wildflowers and my top 10 favourite book covers, reshared below

T is for...Telford and Ironbridge

U is for...under the shadow of the Jura, in the canton of Vaud:

Celigny: Richard Burton

Coppet, and here

Founex

Morges, and here

Prangins

Tolochenaz: Audrey Hepburn


And now for my Top 10 Favourite Book Covers!
I probably have a few others I'd like to add to this list, but looking at all of these still gives me a thrill, so I'll repost without altering (except to add a note about The Notion Club Papers) the list in any way (especially because Kit Pearson's book is wherefrom I got my working title for The Handful of Time).

Top 10 Favourite Book Covers

 
All Day Long Stories: One of my favourite fairy tale collections as a kid

John Bellairs, The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb: Gotta love Gorey

Diana Gabaldon, An Echo in the Bone: Aren't they evocative?

Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Neil! With purple stuff coming out of his head! Dreams!

Yasar Kemal, Kuslar da Gitti: The title of this book translates to: The Birds Have Also Gone

Madeleine L'Engle, A Wind in the Door: I loved this cover even more once I found out about these "dragons" and their fewmets

C. S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Pauline Baynes is one of my favourite illustrators. Every time I reread The Last Battle I cover up the page with the drawing of Tash on it because it scares me so

Kit Pearson, A Handful of Time: Not sure why I liked this when I was younger. Probably because the story was so well written, and the light on the cover just reminded me of the story and characters all over again

J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lost Road: Outside of all of Tolkien's own drawings and paintings, I think John Howe comes closest to how I see the stories and legends. Plus this book includes one of my favourite stories, The Notion Club Papers

E. B. White, Charlotte's Web: I love the illustrations by Garth Williams. They're one of the few sets of images that stay in my head - the rest of my headspace is usually full of words.



What are some of your favourite book covers?

Comments

That's an old cover of The Dawn Treader.
sage said…
I, too, am not doing the A-Z. I thought about doing it on rivers (with links to a lot of post of rivers I’ve paddled and reports on those I’d like to paddle), but there wsn’t the time.


I have decided to consolidate my two blogs (one is more professional) as I can’t see any reason to keep working on them both. In a strange way this feels like I’m coming out of the closet as I haven’t written about my livelihood. Most of my posts from now on will be at www.thepulpitandthepen.com

You’re welcome to stop by.
I don't do any challenges but I like reading all the posts!
Hi Denise - certainly book covers entice ... the Patrick Leigh Fermor ones I've written about, and a South African historical cook book, The Mousehole cat ... and an old (1920s) travel book about Cornwall - which I read to my mother ... but I love these ones you've highlighted ... and!!

... thank you for mentioning Upper Canada Village - that may well get mentioned when I sum up my A-Zs this year ... fascinating to know about - cheers Hilary
J.L. Murphey said…
I agree. "Charlotte's Web" is one of my favorite's too.
Kelly Steel said…
Book covers either make us pick up a book or not.