Books That No One Else Has Read

Books!

There was one of those games making the rounds a couple of weeks ago: Seven days to post a book you love without explanation, comment or review.

I posted the following:

A History of the World in 101/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes
From Anna by Jean Little
The House With the Clock in Its Walls and The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn by John Bellairs
Who Is Frances Rain? by Margaret Buffie
Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary
Mockingbird Wish Me Luck by Charles Bukowski
and, on the first day, The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

I didn't get a chance to include Madeleine l'Engle or E. Nesbit!

But it got me thinking of some of the books I've read that no one else seems to have read. Of course, other people have read them, just not anyone in my immediate circle of friends and acquaintances.

Here are a few of those books:

The Chimes by Charles Dickens

The Booky series by Bernice Thurman Hunter

The Margaret series by Bernice Thurman Hunter

The Road to Endor by E. H. Jones
(the only other person I know, not personally, who's read this book is Neil Gaiman)

Ned Kelly and the City of the Bees by Thomas Keneally

Shadow in Hawthorn Bay by Janet Lunn

Each Man's Son by Hugh MacLennan

Becky's Horse by Winifred Madison

In the Skin of A Lion by Michael Ondaatje

A Handful of Time by Kit Pearson

Unriddling by Alvin Schwartz

Chicken Soup With Rice by Maurice Sendak

The Spaceship Under the Apple Tree by Louis Slobodkin

A Ghost in the Window by Betty Ren Wright

Omni Skyborn by Marcia H. Kruchten

Looking at old Scholastic covers reminds me of another book, something involving an arcade game and time travel, but I'm not at home and can't check my shelves!

Finally, an honourable mention goes to Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I've posted at least thrice on the blog about how much Outlander means to me, and why:

O is for Outlander, during the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge in 2015
O is for Outlander, during the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge in 2014
and, surprise, surprise, O is for Outlander, during the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge in 2012

Meanwhile, editing, as part of my ROW80 goals, has fallen by the wayside as I continue to take part in the Never Have I Ever exercise on the writer's forum. Lots of great story ideas coming through!

Which of these books have you read?
Which books have you read that no one else has?

Comments

No, I haven't read any of those, but I do like Dickens, so I'll give that one a shot.
Michael Di Gesu said…
Hi, Deniz,

WOW, those are a lot of books... True, I haven't read any of them, but I have heard of a few of them.

I love Dickens as well, so I will definitely check out THE CHIMES> I actually read a Tale of Two Cities a few months ago.... Forgot how detailed oriented Dickens is... lots of repetition ... His work would never make it in today's market. LOL times were so different then. NO TV, computers, telephones, etc. People had a lot time on their hands and reading was their only escape.
Hi Deniz - how interesting and to see your various lists. Lots of horses there I see - perhaps someone will be ponied up soon. I rather like the idea of the Riddling one - but it's probably too American oriented for me. Love knowing your lists are here though ... cheers Hilary
Oh, I loved Beverly Cleary's Ramona books! When I was in second or third grade, all the kids would race to the school library so that they could be the first to claim one of her books. I think Beverly Cleary is still alive actually; she's more than a hundred years old now!
Hi Deniz.
What an interesting collection. I have to confess that I haven't read any of these.
I think I need to get stuck into more of Dickens' stories.
Writer In Transit
Jemi Fraser said…
I read a Handful of Time & enjoyed it. I've got several Kit Pearson's in my class - and Beverly Cleary of course! :)
One book few others seem to have read is Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker - I've read it to several classes and they've loved it
Deniz Bevan said…
Just started reading Ramona with my daughter!