WRiTE Club Cage Bouts and Winter Shadows by Margaret Buffie

Winter is coming.

I'm on the last book in A Song of Ice and Fire, can you tell?

Also, I hope I noted schoolwork as one of my ROW80 goals for this round, as I've been focused a lot on that, and haven't done any editing, unfortunately.

Over Christmastime, I read a lovely book called Winter Shadows, by Margaret Buffie.


It is the winter of 1856, and Beatrice Alexander has just returned from Upper Canada to her home on the Red River, in what is now Manitoba. Her father’s new wife is threatened by Beatrice and is driving a wedge into the family.

Five generations later, in the same house, Christmas promises to be a miserable time. Cass’s mother died of cancer and her father has remarried a woman with an attitude that’s very hardto take. Miraculously, when Cass discovers the star brooch belonging to Beatrice, her visions lead her to Beatrice’s diary. Is she really able to communicate with Beatrice across time, or is it all in her imagination?

"A breathtaking novel that is part realism, part time-travel fantasy, and part coming of age tale.” -- Quill & Quire

I agree!

Visit Margaret's blog for details on the real-life settings of the story, in rural Manitoba.




WRiTE Club is still being fought!

We're in the cage bouts now, when those who didn't progress from Round 1 get one last chance to make it through to the next level. So many intriguing story snips to choose from -- go cast your votes!

Is it summer or winter where you are?

Comments

Hi Deniz - Winter Shadows sounds an enjoyable read ... and I'd learn a bit more about Manitoba. Write Club - I really should get over to read the entries. So pleased your studies are going well ... cheers Hilary
sage said…
Interesting about the two different generations in the same house...

It's summer here, now, very much summer! I'm tired of it, but that is always true.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com
Deniz Bevan said…
Thank you, both!