NaNoWriMo and England Photos Part 1 of 4

Photo post!

One of the endless long-term projects is to sort our photos and save them properly or print them or both. I've finally managed to go through most (there are photos on the real camera that never seem to get dealt with), and I'm all caught up with printing photo albums.

And it's not only because I'm procrastinating on NaNoWriMo! I've been mostly managing to meet the bare minimum word count. Not because the new story isn't interesting but because everything else seems to be busy at the moment. I may have to do a few days of Luddite NaNo (writing with pen and paper!) to catch up at the end!

One thing that seemed to have fallen through the cracks was sharing photos of our last few trips to England.

Here, then, is the first of a batch of four, of our walk on Marsden Moor to Easter Gate bridge. We started from the Stanedge Tunnel, the highest, deepest, longest canal tunnel. While we were there, I bought and read Now You See Me by Chris McGeorge, featuring a murder mystery centred around the tunnel...



Marsden and the River Colne




Down to the canal


Sheep! These two photos are actually up by Digley Reservoir. Oops!







Ducks!
Notice how much better you feel when you're near water?




English light



Copper glints in the water



Soft moors


The bridge!



"This famous packhorse bridge, dating from either the 17th or the 18th century, is now scheduled as an ancient monument. Although named Close Gate Bridge on the Ordnance Survey maps it is usually known as Eastergate Bridge, perhaps because Esther Schofield kept the Packhorse Inn which stood here more than a century ago, and ‘Esther Gate’ became ‘Eastergate’.

‘Close Gate’ means ‘the road to the cloughs’, and the bridge now gives access to the National Trust moorland. The track which follows Oldgate Clough used to be the packhorse way between Marsden and Rochdale. In the famous court case at Leeds Assizes in 1908 the route was established as a public right of way after Sir Joseph Radcliffe, the Lord of the Manor, had tried to stop people using it."
(From the Marsden website)











Starting on the walk back!


Which trips have you been remembering lately?

Comments

Jeff said…
Yes, I agree, I always feel better near water! Love the photos. The English countryside is beautiful and that bridge is precious.

https://fromarockyhillside.com
CLM said…
I also like being by the water in England. I recently finished the 8-book series by Nicci French about dour psychotherapist Frieda Klein who is obsessed by rivers and canals. It is scary so I think my canal visits will only be in broad daylight!
Wonderful pictures. I totally get carried away snapping pictures on every trip I go.
Leigh Caron said…
Yup, water invigorates me. I'm curious, what do you call those veins of water? Streams? Creeks? Or brooks. Love all the photos.
Hi Deniz - lots going on ... and you were busy as well as reading murder mysteries ... what fun. The English light is quite amazing isn't it ... while packhorse bridges reflect so much history ... as too the peaty water as it bubbles along. Take care - Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks, all!
Hmm. I think a creak is the smallest/narrowest, then a stream, then a river. But there are also rivulets and brooks and becks and more! :-)