IWSG Day and Photos from La Dole Mountaintop

It's Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!



This month's question is:

What is your favorite writing craft book? Think of a book that every time you read it you learn something or you are inspired to write or try the new technique. And why?

The awesome co-hosts for the August 4 posting of the IWSG are PK Hrezo, Cathrina Constantine, PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, and Sandra Cox!


I don't really have a favourite craft book. I loved Stephen King's On Writing, Diana Gabaldon's "I Give You My Body . . .": How I Write Sex Scenes, the various memoirs written by Lois Lowry and Katherine Paterson and other favourite authors, and I haven't read Anne Lamott yet, and I'm sure I'm forgetting so many more...

Besides craft books, reading a really good novel or collection of poetry is also always inspiring. One time that I really concentrated on technique was while I read The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry, and completed all the poetry-writing exercises!

And now...photos!

From a picnic near the top of La Dole (1677m), overlooking Lac Leman/Lake Geneva (you can see the Jet d'Eau in Geneva far far away!):


Two exciting tit bits:
IWSG has swag (I love that word)!
My book review contest is still on! One week left to enter!


Have you been on a picnic recently?

Comments

cleemckenzie said…
Great pictures. They make me want to put on my hiking shoes and start out to see what's there.
Wow, look at those mountains!
Chrys Fey said…
I do want to check out Diana Gabaldon's book some time.

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us (and all the others you've shared). I've enjoyed them.
Leigh Caron said…
Thanks for sharing what books on writing you like. I didn't know Diana Gabaldon had one. Will check it out.
Great photos.
Julia Quay said…
I also didn't know Diana Gabaldon had a writing book out. Thanks for the tip! And you're right...reading (or rereading) a great book is one of the best ways to learn.
Hi Deniz - great thoughts here to help others write their books. I found 'Writing Talk' by Alex Hamilton ... Conversations with top writers of the last fifty years - haven't read it ... but thought it looked interesting.

Wonderful place for a picnic ... ideal for the kids - and what excellent views .... a fun day out - cheers Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks, all! Wouldn't it be awesome if I could host a writing (and reading) retreat someday?
Deniz Bevan said…
Oh! see, I knew I'd forget one! I forgot to mention Lawrence Block!
Oh, I miss mountains and pine trees! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth Mueller¨*•.♥
Diane Burton said…
Great pictures. I didn't know about Gabaldon's book. I'll have to check it out.
For me it's a tie between Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. I also like The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron, which isn't just for writers, but I like her idea about Morning Pages.
Deniz Bevan said…
I've finally started reading Bird by Bird!
Deniz Bevan said…
Commenting here because i forgot to mention the wonderful Susan Bischoff! Check out her Story Toolki!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/153934696X/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i3