IWSG and Crafting Photos

C
rafts!
and

Welcome to Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!

Insecure Writer's Support Group

A database resource site and support group for writers and authors. Featuring weekly guests and tips, a monthly blogfest gathering, a Facebook group, a book club, and thousands of links – all to benefit writers! #IWSG

Website / Facebook Group / Twitter / Book Club / Reedsy DiscountPast Issues
Fast Five Free Gift - Mobi / Epub / Pdf

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting! Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world! 

The awesome co-hosts for the August 7 posting of the IWSG are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

August 7 question - Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?



Ooh, great question!

The one that broke me for years was the "do not ever use contractions rule". I don't know if my teacher failed to specify that the rule applied only/mostly to non-fiction, or if I misunderstood, but for quite a few years, I had my characters speaking unnaturally, sounding like this:

"Do you want to meet up at the pub?"

"I cannot go until later. I cannot leave my new puppy at home alone, she would miss me."

"Do you not have someone to help you look after her?"

 "I do not."

"I could help you!"

"Would you, really? Puppies can be a handful."

"I would love to meet her!"

"Then let us go now."


Ridiculous! I'm glad I finally got over this error!


Time for photos!

Some lunches out and some crafts!



A new scarf!



Birthday cake...




...birthday cake decorated by the kids!

I made Samba Schutte's Rosy Maple Moth Pie again!

 

What's your favourite kind of pie?

Comments

Leigh Caron said…
I always use contractions when I write dialog, unless a character needs to emphasize something, e.g. Do not open that box. You will be sorry.
You guys eat well!
Contractions are how people talk.
I wrote nonfiction for hire years ago, and they had a rule about no contractions that still messes me up!
Now the teaching is probably to always use contractions where applicable!
Your photos sure made me hungry, especially the raspberry tort!

https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
Deniz Bevan said…
I agree! So glad I got out of the no contractions habit!
Janet Alcorn said…
Most of what we learn in writing classes (other than creative writing classes) is focused on academic writing, which is way more formal than creative writing. Hence the no contractions rule and being a stickler about perfect grammar. Unfortunately writing instructors often don't talk much about clarity, so most academic writing is absolutely miserable to read.
Hi Deniz - I honestly can't remember my school days or what I was meant to learn; thank goodness I can cope today. Fun cakes - bet they were delicious ... while your 'pup' looks like he's about jump out of the window - glorious photos ... cheers Hilary
Olga Godim said…
No contractions? I didn't know there was a rule like that.
I like sweets of all varieties. I even enjoy photos of sweet things. Any pie is a good pie. And cakes. And tarts. And ...
Jeff said…
I remember being warned not to use contractions (and I never took a fiction class until I had my masters). It is only for academic writing. Otherwise, I use contractions all the time, especially in writing for the ear.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for coming by, all!