Tagged by Nina!
1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves a comment letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
4. The player lets the person who tagged them know when they’ve posted their answer.
What were you doing ten years ago?
That would be 1998 but I can’t remember too specifically, so the things I list cover 1997 to 1999: graduated from CEGEP; started my BA at McGill University; saw Coldplay, Morrissey, Radiohead, Supergrass, Charlatans, Jean Leloup, etc. live; visited London, Paris, Antibes, Cannes, Nice, various towns in Corsica, Istanbul, Izmir and Kusadasi; almost bought a Dali statue (see here), quit working at Dairy Queen and started working at Second Cup; finished reading all 12 of the History of Middle-Earth books; knit about 20 scarves; started learning Middle English; continued to learn German; and gleefully gave up taking Math, French and Gym classes for the rest of my life!
What are five things on your to-do list for today (in no particular order)?
Ha! Today’s a wash, too tired from my sister-in-law’s wedding. So tomorrow:
1. Work half a day
2. Go to the pub for lunch with relatives from out of town
5. Play Scrabble
What are some snacks you enjoy?
Ice cream, pretzels, carrots, celery, dark chocolate, fruit.
What would you do if you were a billionaire?
Oh my. Assuming I get a windfall tomorrow, I would: give money to family and to a few charities (though why there have to be so many disparate groups, I don’t understand – wouldn’t they save money and have more resources if they pooled their efforts? I’m talking about you, WWF, SPCA, CSPCA, Canadian Federation for Animal Welfare, etc., etc.!); pay off the mortgage; travel all over the place; make writing my job (as Nina B. said); get a driver’s license but probably not a car; think about moving somewhere where I could get a job copy editing for a publishing company; possibly invest in real estate; save the rest of the money; and start thinking about setting up the following:
1. A magazine (called The Inkuisitor)
2. A store with imported goods from England and Turkey
3. My own editing/publishing company
What are three of your bad habits?
Assuming I have more than 3? Talking too fast, cracking my knuckles and never using the phone.
What are five places you have lived?
Istanbul, Turkey; Montreal, Canada; Kusadasi, Turkey.
What are five jobs you have had?
Dairy Queen (I miss making ice cream cakes!)
Editor’s Assistant at EnRoute and Les Ailes magazines
Translator/Editor/Copy Editor/Administrative Assistant at GarLin International (two sites)
Copy Editor/Administrative Assistant at ICAO
What are the last five books you have read?
Stoics and Sceptics by Edwyn Bevan
Dear Bill, Remember Me? by Norma Fox Mazer
Ready or Not by Mary Stolz
The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (all 7; reread before the release of Prince Caspian the movie)
On Writing by Stephen King (if you haven't read it yet, do!)
What are five websites that you visit daily (in no particular order)?
Compuserve Books and Writers' Community
and I Google at least one new fact/weird question/definition every day...
So, whom to tag... Aydin!
Books I'm Reading and Finished Books
- The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes
- ***Reading At Intervals***
- The War of the Jewels - Book 11 in the History of Middle Earth series by Christopher Tolkien and J R R Tolkien (reread)
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford
- A Woman in Arabia: The Writings of the Queen of the Desert by Gertrude Bell
- 12 Anne and Avonlea books by L. M. Montgomery (skimming/reread (this was free on Kindle!))
- 11 Doctors 11 Stories by various authors (including Neil Gaiman)
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien manuscripts edited by J. D. Rateliff
- Creed or Chaos? by Dorothy Sayers
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- The Jerusalem Bible
- ***Finished Books***
- The Hierophant by Lee-Ann Dalton (short story)
- The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff
- 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (reread)
- Lonely Planet guide to Switzerland
- Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen
- beta read!
- Ode on Venice by Lord Byron (poem)
- Little Miss Scatterbrain by Roger Hargreaves (reread)
- Little Miss Lucky by Roger Hargreaves (reread)
- Little Miss Trouble by Roger Hargreaves (reread)
- Homage to Switzerland by Ernest Hemingway (short story; reread but I really don't remember it after 20 years)
- The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier (reread)
- Sing a Long Children's Songs
- Emily's First Christmas
- Up At the Villa by Somerset Maugham (novella)
- Telling Stories by Tim Burgess
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Marble Collector by Cecilia Ahern
- Sophie's Throughway by Jules Smith
- Baby Animals (Little Golden Books)
- The House That Jack Built (Little Golden Books)
- Scuffy the Tugboat (Little Golden Books)
- The Saggy Baggy Elephant (Little Golden Books)
- Morgoth's Ring - Book 10 in the History of Middle Earth series by Christopher Tolkien and J R R Tolkien (reread)
- A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Who's A Pest by Crosby Bonsall
- Mine's the Best by Crosby Bonsall (reread)
- The Case of the Hungry Stranger by Crosby Bonsall (reread)
- extracts from the diary of John Evelyn (Volume 1 of 2)
- extracts from Lord Byron's letters about Villa Diodati
- Pippin the Christmas Pig by Jean Little
- Ite Missa Est by Anthony Martignetti
- The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (reread)
- The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis (reread)
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (reread)
- Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (reread)
- The Red Angel by G. K. Chesterton (essay)
- Emily's Runaway Imagination by Beverly Cleary
- The Boy Who Set Out to Learn What Fear Was by the Brothers Grimm
- The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis (reread)
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (reread)
- secret beta read!
- Preludes by Wordsworth (extracts read aloud)
- Little Miss Scatterbrain by Roger Hargreaves
- Dance Me A Dream by Kait Nolan (ARC)
- Once Upon A Coffee by Kait Nolan
- England and Switzerland, 1802 by William Wordsworth (poem)
- Once Upon A New Year's Eve by Kait Nolan
- short story by Becky Morgan (http://forums.compuserve.com/discussions/Books_and_Writers_Community/Writers_Exercises/Becky_Morgans_December_X/ws-books/85291.1?nav=messages)
- Blood In Blood Out by Brenda Novak (short story)
- That Hell-Bound Train by Robert Bloch (short story)
- Distraction by J. L. Campbell
- Humble Bundle Peanuts collection (strips by Charles Schulz)
- Peanuts Volumes I to VI (bought via Humble Bundle; very disappointing as it's mostly new strips -- how is that even allowed?!)
- Sandals and Sangria by Talli Roland (short story)
- Over the Hump by Talli Roland (short story)
- issues of Journal of Inklings Studies and Amon Hen and Mallorn (Tolkien Society)
- Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet by Matt Napier
- Babar and his Family by Laurent de Brunhoff
- Illusions Lost by Byron A. Maddox (short story)
- ongoing rereads of most board books listed last year!
- Lost My Name book for Emily (https://www.lostmy.name/)
- Now We Are Six by A. A. Milne
- When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne (reread)
- Neil Gaiman comics on Sequential app
- Moranology by Caitlin Moran
- see the 2015 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2015/12/annual-books-read-statistics.html
- see the 2014 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2014/12/books-read-in-2014-review.html
- see the 2013 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2014/01/toast-to-professor-books-read-in-2013.html
- see the 2012 list and statistics here http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-hobbit-review-and-year-end-books.html
- see the 2011 statistics on http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011-statistics-fourth.html
- see the 2011 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011.html
- see the 2010 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2010/12/books-read-in-2010-listed-here.html
- see the 2009 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-ii.html
- also in 2009 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-iv.html
- see the 2008 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-ii.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-vi.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-iv.html