Tagged by Nina!
1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves a comment letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
4. The player lets the person who tagged them know when they’ve posted their answer.
What were you doing ten years ago?
That would be 1998 but I can’t remember too specifically, so the things I list cover 1997 to 1999: graduated from CEGEP; started my BA at McGill University; saw Coldplay, Morrissey, Radiohead, Supergrass, Charlatans, Jean Leloup, etc. live; visited London, Paris, Antibes, Cannes, Nice, various towns in Corsica, Istanbul, Izmir and Kusadasi; almost bought a Dali statue (see here), quit working at Dairy Queen and started working at Second Cup; finished reading all 12 of the History of Middle-Earth books; knit about 20 scarves; started learning Middle English; continued to learn German; and gleefully gave up taking Math, French and Gym classes for the rest of my life!
What are five things on your to-do list for today (in no particular order)?
Ha! Today’s a wash, too tired from my sister-in-law’s wedding. So tomorrow:
1. Work half a day
2. Go to the pub for lunch with relatives from out of town
5. Play Scrabble
What are some snacks you enjoy?
Ice cream, pretzels, carrots, celery, dark chocolate, fruit.
What would you do if you were a billionaire?
Oh my. Assuming I get a windfall tomorrow, I would: give money to family and to a few charities (though why there have to be so many disparate groups, I don’t understand – wouldn’t they save money and have more resources if they pooled their efforts? I’m talking about you, WWF, SPCA, CSPCA, Canadian Federation for Animal Welfare, etc., etc.!); pay off the mortgage; travel all over the place; make writing my job (as Nina B. said); get a driver’s license but probably not a car; think about moving somewhere where I could get a job copy editing for a publishing company; possibly invest in real estate; save the rest of the money; and start thinking about setting up the following:
1. A magazine (called The Inkuisitor)
2. A store with imported goods from England and Turkey
3. My own editing/publishing company
What are three of your bad habits?
Assuming I have more than 3? Talking too fast, cracking my knuckles and never using the phone.
What are five places you have lived?
Istanbul, Turkey; Montreal, Canada; Kusadasi, Turkey.
What are five jobs you have had?
Dairy Queen (I miss making ice cream cakes!)
Editor’s Assistant at EnRoute and Les Ailes magazines
Translator/Editor/Copy Editor/Administrative Assistant at GarLin International (two sites)
Copy Editor/Administrative Assistant at ICAO
What are the last five books you have read?
Stoics and Sceptics by Edwyn Bevan
Dear Bill, Remember Me? by Norma Fox Mazer
Ready or Not by Mary Stolz
The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (all 7; reread before the release of Prince Caspian the movie)
On Writing by Stephen King (if you haven't read it yet, do!)
What are five websites that you visit daily (in no particular order)?
Compuserve Books and Writers' Community
and I Google at least one new fact/weird question/definition every day...
So, whom to tag... Aydin!
Books I'm Reading and Finished Books
- Hidden by Catherine Mackenzie
- secret beta read 2
- ***Reading At Intervals***
- The Wars by Timothy Findley (reread)
- So Anyway... by John Cleese
- (Subterranean collection) John Scalzi
- Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King (loved My Pretty Pony)
- What to Expect in Baby's First Year
- Baby's First Year for Dummies
- Beowulf and Sellic Spell by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford
- The War of the Ring - Book 8 in the History of Middle Earth series by Christopher Tolkien and J R R Tolkien (reread)
- 11 Doctors 11 Stories by various authors (including Neil Gaiman)
- Creed or Chaos? by Dorothy Sayers
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien manuscripts edited by J. D. Rateliff
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- The Jerusalem Bible
- ***Finished Books***
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- Moo, Baa, La La La by Sandra Boynton
- But Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra Boynton
- Oh, Whistle, And I'll Come To You, My Lad by M. R. James (short story) (1904)
- Chu's Day by Neil Gaiman (reread)
- My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl
- Usborne board books
- Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
- Lila by Marilynne Robinson (so lovely)
- Flowers for Mrs Harris by Paul Gallico
- secret beta read!
- The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend
- HELP! Food Allergies Coming To Dinner by Kait Nolan
- This Heart of Mine by Brenda Novak
- The Owl Service by Alan Garner
- Two Caravans by Monica Lewycka
- Aunt Sass by P. L. Travers
- An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten (actually a few pages of the story, written by John Green for the film of his novel The Fault In Our Stars)
- January Brings the Snow by Sara Coleridge (poem)
- Kissing song by Neil Gaiman (poem)
- The Mother by Nettie Palmer (poem)
- William Tell Told Again by P. G. Wodehouse
- Her Ladyship's Companion by Joanna Bourne
- The Long Way Home by Louise Penny
- How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny
- Mes P'tits Contes, legends of Swiss cantons
- see the 2014 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2014/12/books-read-in-2014-review.html
- see the 2013 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2014/01/toast-to-professor-books-read-in-2013.html
- see the 2012 list and statistics here http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-hobbit-review-and-year-end-books.html
- see the 2011 statistics on http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011-statistics-fourth.html
- see the 2011 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011.html
- see the 2010 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2010/12/books-read-in-2010-listed-here.html
- see the 2009 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-ii.html
- also in 2009 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-iv.html
- see the 2008 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-ii.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-vi.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-iv.html