Insecure Writers' Support Group and Houseparties and 300 Followers

Our Insecure Writers' Support Group meets again!

Welcome, all writers.

Today let's revisit the best cure for writer's block I know:


Last year, I wrote a guest post on Kait Nolan's blog, describing what these houseparties are:
Houseparties are a great way to thrust your characters out of their familiar worlds and learn things about them that you may not have known before. Writing for a houseparty is just like writing your first draft – fast paced and fluid, with no second guessing; anything goes at a houseparty, from magic to skipping between time periods, to anachronistic events and language, to romantic interludes...
Links to all of the previous parties are here.

I mention all this as we've just had another party! This time the setting was the Madcap Mansion. Anything goes at these parties, you know.

Having raced, out of breath, to the finish line at NaNo, it felt great to reconnect with Ayten and Devran on a less structured level. After the Constantinople Houseparty, I asked: "Houseparties are so fast and exciting and fun; what if the novel seems dull after this?"

The answer seems obvious now - you know you're hitting the right notes in the novel when it moves as swiftly as a houseparty.

Don't forget to participate in the giveaways for Nadja's 12 Days of Christmas Reading Gift List!

Speaking of giveaways, I've passed 300 followers! Thank you everyone! There'll be prizes soon, I promise.

Comments

Zan Marie said…
Whoo Hoo! 300 followers! Congrats, Deniz!

I love houseparties, but this time around, I wasn't able to bring any of my characters. And I'll admit, I haven't even read it yet. I know, naugthy girl. ; )
Rek Sesh said…
Congrats on 300...
The idea of a houseparty sounds interesting, your characters must have been happy to be away from their familiar settings.
Nancy Thompson said…
Make that 301...and I'm the one! I found you via Alex's IWSG. Congrats on your expanding army! I'm still working my way towards 200.
Wendy Jane said…
Yay! Good work! The house party sounds like it's pretty interesting and a great exercise. I might have to look into it :)

Congrats all around!
Lena Corazon said…
Congrats on reaching 300 followers! I have to say, I love this idea of houseparties -- I think I'll be giving it a try sometime soon, just to see what will happen.

Have a wonderful rest of the week!
Congratulations on reaching 300 Deniz. /throws confetti.
Carol Riggs said…
Woohoos and confetti and streamers for your 300 mark!! Go, you! Glad you did well on your NaNo. :)
Arlee Bird said…
Congratulations on passing the 300. You don't sound very insecure to me today.


Lee
Tossing It Out
Trisha said…
300 Followers, that rocks!!! Congrats Deniz :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Zan Marie! You still have time - heck, I've fallen behind on reading some of the scenes...

It's fun to let the characters loose, Rek!

Thanks so much for the follow Nancy!

Hope you drop by the party Wendy Jane and Lena!

Thank you Michael, Carol, Lee and Trisha!
Anonymous said…
Oh that's a neat idea! I'd never even heard of such a thing for characters. It's like a vacation in the middle of your WIP. ;)
nutschell said…
Congratulations! 300+ followers is something to celebrate. I hope you get to 500+ soon!
Jemi Fraser said…
Congrats on the 300! :)

I've never heard of a houseparty like this - sounds fun!
Golden Eagle said…
Congratulations on 300+ Followers! :)

A houseparty for characters sounds like fun.
Missed Periods said…
Sparta won a battle with 300 followers. It's a lucky number!
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Ryan, nutschell, Jemi, Eagle and Missed! You guys still have time to drop by the houseparty, if you like, it'll be open for a little longer...