Outlander Fun Facts, Tolkien and Jo Bourne, Sam Sykes, and Eleven More Questions

Friday fun facts! That's the name of the fun new weekly feature Karen has on her Outlandish Observations blog. They're all Outlander-related, of course, but interesting even if you haven't read the novels, including titbits about 18th Century printing presses, poisonous tomatoes, what a bodhran sounds like, electric eels, and more.

[Don't forget the Campaign Challenge! My post is below the post about Talli. If you like my entry, please click on Like on Rach's page - I'm number 24]

I've been distracted by reviewing former blog posts for Pinterest, and noticed that I barely knew how to format a blog post when I first started, in 2007. Some of my links are spelled out, and there are hardly any images - some posts are only one one sentence long! One of the first to feature an image was the post where I talked of discovering a photo of my character Austin, from the MG The Face of A Lion. Along the way, I found a quote from Joanna Bourne, featuring Tolkien, on the sillier side of "write what you know" advice.

C. V. Marie tagged me with eleven new questions!

1. Plotter, pantser, or a rad combination of both?

Definitely the latter. I pants my way through the initial two drafts, then start drawing up lists and charts and timelines, and edit in a (s l o w) but organized fashion.

2. Which two fictional characters would you want to see get in a fight?

How about an argument that leads to a kiss? It happens to my characters quite often.

3. What is the first line of your current WIP?

"The two women were disguised in men's clothes." (from Rome, Rhymes and Risk)

4. Two things within arm's reach:

My older cat, sitting on the printout of my wip. (I'd share a photo, but the batteries need recharging)

5. Describe your current book, MS, or WIP in three words:

Rome, Rhymes and Risk

6. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

All over the rest of Scotland and Wales that I haven't seen.

7. Favorite past time?

Reading. Of course! And knitting.

8. If you were trapped in an elevator, who would you want to be trapped with?

Let's choose someone literary... and not from history... Diana Gabaldon or Neil Gaiman (with Amanda Palmer).

9. Favorite fictional character? male/female

Faramir / Luthien Tinuviel (daughter of Melian, for whose enchantment I named the blog)

10. Favorite time of the day to write?

Early morning if I can get up, late at night if I'm home alone.

11. Who inspires you to write?

All my favourite authors, but especially the ones that write short stories.

If you'd like to answer some questions, you can take any of these, or any of the 22 questions I've already blabbed answers to!

Speaking of questions, Sam Sykes' Denaos and Kataria recently answered some Valentine's Day questions, including one that Devran asked!

And now, the latest Wordle for the blog (the last Wordle was in 2008):

Comments

Karen Henry said…
Deniz,

Thanks so much for mentioning my Friday Fun Facts! I'm really glad everyone's been enjoying them. :-) And you're right, many of them would be of interest even to people who haven't read Diana Gabaldon's books.

Karen
Matthew MacNish said…
Ah Faramir and Luthien. Two of the most awesome characters ever.
Talli Roland said…
Great question and answers, Deniz. I love that your older cat was within n arm's length. I SO have cat envy.
LR said…
I still haven't read Outlander. I know that's awful! :)
Can I join you in the elevator with DG? Now that would be an interesting/educational couple of hours, aye? :) Theresa
Carol Riggs said…
Oh, you're one of THOSE people, who get up early, eh? ;o) I like your alliterated 3-word summary of your book! Cool that you knit too.
Angela Brown said…
I'm with you on the reading as the best ever. Not much into knitting. I tried crocheting once but had a few coordination issues or something lol!!
Anonymous said…
Oh I like your first line: The two women were disguised in men's clothes." (from Rome, Rhymes and Risk)

Reading knitting and good coffee with friends :O)
Golden Eagle said…
I love how you condensed your book into only three words!
Rek Sesh said…
I like the first line of the book...love fabric painting(clay, metal pots even belts), comes quite close to knitting right?....fabric and threads involved. :)
Trisha said…
A blog JUST for Outlander?? I'm so there! hehe. thanks for sharing :)

I love that cats sit on our printed-out work. it must smell good or feel nice & warm or something :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Thank *you* Karen! I think they're fun *and* informative.

And how, Matthew!

Aw, shucks, Talli, I bet there's a stray you could rescue?

Ooh, don't wait any longer, LR!

Aye, I'd love to have you join us in the elevator, Theresa!

Actually, Carol, I seem to be able to get up early to write - but not to edit...

I still can't make anything more than a crochet chain, Angela!

Mmm, coffee... I agree, Madeleine!

And yet I can't come up with a proper blurb, Eagle...

Fabric and threads are always fun, Rek.

Karen's got a great blog, Trisha, hope you visited!