Edinburgh Castle, A to Z Challenge Sign Up, and IWSG Day

Vvery soon now, before we know it, the A to Z Challenge will be here once more!

Have you signed up?

I did, and made a rookie error, listing myself as BO. I thought the codes applied to our themes, but apparently they apply to our blogs in general. Which is difficult, as I'm more than just BO. I'm also HM, PO, PR, TR, and WR. Her Majesty's Personal Poet, Traveller, Writer, and Reader. But my A to Z theme will be BO. Yes, the reason I keep repeating it is that I hear snippets of the Seinfeld episode about the smelly car every time I say/write BO. Body odour!

Giggling aside, my theme will be about books (what else?) and... well, the details will have to wait for reveal day.



The A to Z Challenge list is open now, go sign up! Nearly 200 people have joined since I added my name, and there were 300 people before me. So exciting! Such a simple-seeming idea, and it keeps getting bigger.

As Alex said: "The brainchild of Arlee Bird at Tossing it Out, the A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behaviour). And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter "A". April 2 is "B", April 4 is "C", and so on. You can use a theme for the month or go random -- just as long as it matches the letter of the alphabet for the day.
The A to Z Challenge is a great way to get into the blogging habit and make new friends. For more details and its history, go HERE."

This all sort of links to Insecure Writer's Support Group Day, I think. One, blog writing certainly counts as writing! Two, reading and travelling are all about filling the writer's well. I've been making some great headway on my read-the-books-I-own-before-buying-more goal for ROW80. Except for one hiccough -- I added Julian Barnes' newest to my wishlist, then saw it at the bookstore the next day, and bought it. Sometimes I do this, then set the books aside and they pile up. Reading is such a funny thing, always dependent on moods and whims. The mood was right, this time, and I started reading The Noise of Time that day. I've nearly finished! I'd recommend it to anyone interested in history, music, Russia, Shostakovich, Art for Art's sake, Art as a circle, Art vs Power and/or small stories that are great in their smallness.

As for travel, a couple of months ago we were in Edinburgh! I've got photos for other posts of the city and some side trips that we took; for today, some photos of a rainy day at Edinburgh Castle:




General Haig






View from a distance the day after







The Whisky Experience

What kinds of books are you in the mood for?

Comments

Chrys Fey said…
One of my goals is to read more of the books I own this year too but I've added a few I don't own yet. It's hard not to want to read new books.

Neat pictures!
Unknown said…
Here from Alex's blog. I love the pictures. Our family is visiting London and Rome this spring. Edinburgh is on our list. I'm Irish/Hispanic and would love to visit the mother-land. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics.

As for books I'm reading, End Game and Book III in the Outlander Series.
Karen Baldwin said…
Great photos, and I'm here too because of Alex's blog. Regarding books - this past Christmas my daughter and I were shopping and she wanted to go into Barnes & Noble and I begged her not to because I can't resist buying books. Needless to say, I now have 5 more books waiting to be read, but what a fun addiction it is.
Edinburgh is such a cool city! Those photos bring back memories.
Do you want to change your Challenge code? Email me.
Great pictures. It makes some of them look a little spooky and haunted. That visit is on my bucket list.
sage said…
Edinburgh is a neat city, especially the castle. I have thought about doing the A-Z challenge and pick out places I'd like to travel (a bucket list). As for books, I am back into a heavy non-fiction run.
Susan Kane said…
One of the cities we have on our bucket list. Impressive.

Can't participate in A to Z this year, sadly. Sooo much happening in our house in the next months.
S.P. Bowers said…
I've got pictures of me in some of those same spots. :) You should do a photo a-z next year. All the cities you've visited.
dolorah said…
I'm sitting out A-Z, again. I don't have the heart for all that blog visiting during the month - having tough enough time now keeping up.

Funny how people always fall into many categories.

Great Pics. I love traveling just as a tourist :)
Juneta key said…
Great post, gorgeous pictures. I trying to get in more blogs,so still making the rounds. Happy Belated IWSG Day
Juneta Writer's Gambit
Hi Deniz - I keep adding to my list .. perhaps once daylight gets a little longer - I'll settle and read ... I bought Lorna Doone, Westward Ho! and Jamaica Inn - all arising from my recent West Country Tour - guess I'd better read those.

Wonderful to see Edinburgh as foul and wet as it is here!! I haven't been round for decades and really should go back - I gather the museum is a good one .. cheers Hilary
Misha Gerrick said…
I'm actually feeling like some historical romance this weekend. I miiiiiiiight end up seeing how much I can read in the next two days.

We're in the 300s together for A to Z. :-D
Ravyne said…
Still making my rounds through IWSG!

I am all signed up for the A2Z! I am also trying to read the books I already own, but keep finding new ones to add. Writing is taking up most of my time at the moment though. Those are some gorgeous pictures!

Good luck with your reading goals! ~Lori~
Nas said…
I read a lot of books. But still my to-read pile is very high. Great photos, Deniz.
Deniz Bevan said…
Glad you all enjoyed the photos!

I'll think about it, Alex. Books do feature heavily on the blog and I'm not writing as much as I should be this wonter, so perhaps it's accurate for now!
Denise Covey said…
Hi Deniz. I'm going to read more blogger books and review them on Amazon.
I've only spent a few hours in Edinburgh, but it blew me away. Thanks for the pics.
Deniz Bevan said…
I'm trying to read more blogger books too, Denise!
Lovely pics, Deniz!
The A to Z sign ups have reached 726 participants. This will be my 6th challenge.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Michelle! I was looking at some of my upcoming blog post ideas and realized the A to Z will be here after only four more posts! Eep!