IWSG Day, ROW80 Goals, and the Library In English Geneva Book Sale

Books, books, and more books!





I thought I'd do a recap of all of my visits to the Library in English in Geneva book sales from the time we arrived in Switzerland. I'm not sure I've captured all the blog posts, but here are the Twitter posts showing the stacks of books I've gotten each time!


Spring 2018 book sale

Spring 2017 book sale

Autumn 2016 book sale

Spring 2016 book sale
2016 Geneva Book Fair: meeting Joel Dicker

Autumn 2015 book sale
2015 Founex village fair

Spring 2015 book sale, and second haul
A to Z Challenge blog post on the library



Autumn 2014 book sale, and second haul

Spring 2014 book sale
Geneva book fair 2014: meeting Irvine Welsh


I seem to have set my ROW80 goals a bit early.

For this ROW80 round, I need to keep going on edits for The Handful of Time. I'm only on chapter 3! Otherwise, I could work some more on edits for my short story, Blackbird's Song. And finally get around to submitting Druid's Moon for an editorial review by Barbara Rogan.

Coincidentally, Barbara is hosting this month's writing exercise at the litforum, which is all about conflict and empathising with a character on the other side of that conflict. If I finish a piece for the exercise, I'll share it here!


Today is Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!

An interesting question this month: What personal traits have you written into your character(s)?

I'm sure there are a few, but at the moment I can only think of two opposites -- a trait that isn't mine, and a trait that didn't fit!

Austin doesn't like any kind of dusted flour or seeds on his bread. This is something that I love!

When I first started writing Rosa's story, 1492 or no, I was going to have her wearing spectacles! I've been wearing glasses since I was 5, and it seemed odd to have all my characters have 20/20 vision.
This didn't work out, needless to say. Spectacles were a rarity in rural Spain in 1492, and even if I could shoehorn her into some sort of her-father-was-a-sailor-and-brought-them-from-elsewhere scenario, Rosa simply wasn't having it. Someone else will have to wear glasses someday.


What sorts of traits do your characters have?

Comments

Karen Baldwin said…
Hmm? I've never thought about my character's vision before, but it would make for a great trait to play with. I write humor and I can see my protagonist fumbling for her specs...often.
Chrys Fey said…
I often give my characters traits I wish I had, or have them do things that I am unable to do in real life.
You wanted to wear glasses? Now that's an interesting trait.
Roland Clarke said…
My debut book's heroine was a superb horse rider, while I'm hopeless. However, she has to learn to live with juvenile/Type 1 diabetes - my chronic disease is multiple sclerosis.