Jane Goodall and Tolkien, and Photos from Swiss Travels!

Which books does Jane Goodall recommend?

I came across this interview in The New York Times: What Jane Goodall is reading

She answered the "who would you invite to dinner" question!

"You’re organizing a literary dinner party. Which three writers, dead or alive, do you invite?

'Shakespeare, Tolkien, Jane Austen or Charlotte Brontë. Or, oh — I want Keats, Byron, Rachel Carson, Dickens, Darwin — and, oh, I so want Churchill and, and, and — my dinner party will need a banqueting hall to fit them all in!'"

I last answered that question a year ago: "Emily Carr. Tolkien (though I'd be fainting with nervousness). And the third... Agatha Christie? Lord Rochester? Shakespeare? Chesterton? Pliny the Elder? John Buchan? Jean Little? Dostoyevsky? E Nesbit? The possibilities are endless..."

And now... All the rest of the photos from our travels this past summer:

Lac de Joux and La Brevine (the Siberia of Switzerland; a pocket valley where the temperature really drops in winter!). Also some slugs and snails... It doesn't show in the photos, but the paths were mostly mud. I had to look up "combier" in the beer ad; apparently it's a nickname for residents of the Lac de Joux area


We visited the Prangins Museum on Swiss National Day (1 August -- also Yorkshire Day!). There's a bottle of wine from 1800, books and furniture from then, too. And they also had a temporary exhibit of video games through the decades; I played Pong for the first time!
Then some ice cream...

...and then, Val de Travers -- where absinthe comes from! On the way down towards Lake Neuchatel, we passed the Toblerones, a long line of anti-tank fortifications put up during the Second World War.



Also on the way down, back home, we passed through the La Sarraz and Aubonne villages.



Who would you invite to a literary dinner?

Comments

Hi Deniz - you've certainly had an interesting and very pretty historical journey ... lots of places for feeding up with food, and ice-cream, let alone the chocolate.

Dinner - gosh I'd need a few dinners, as I'd be very daunted in the beginning ... Virginia Woolf - but I'd be terrified of her. Diana Kennedy - the English lady, who's known as the culinary anthropologist about whom I've just written; Emily Carr - the Canadian artist too ... William Dalrymple, Louis L'Amour, David Olusoga ... an eclectic mix of people ...

Cheers - too many ... but wonderful photos ... Hilary
cleemckenzie said…
Loved the pictures. They made my feet itchy for a good walk in another countryside. As to the dinner, Proust (I'd like to see if I could understand his conversation better than his books), Shakespeare, Faulkner, Hemmingway, S.E. Hinton (I need a good woman to hold up her end of the conversation). There are more, but like you, I'd need a much larger room.
You have such an amazing country to explore inside and out. Looks like it was a little chilly that day as well.
The pictures are beautiful! I think I like the restaurant pictures best, partly because it reminds me that most places are allowing indoor dining again. The pandemic really made me appreciate so many things that I took for granted before, like eating a good meal in a restaurant.

And it would be so hard to pick the writers I could talk with because there are so many I'd love to talk to. Jen Lancaster would be one; I spoke to her briefly at a book signing and she was so funny and kind. And I'd love to sit and talk with Amy Tan, as well as Dave Barry; he was the first humor writer I ever read and I always wanted to write like him, where he could make something as ordinary as going into his yard sound hilarious.
Deniz Bevan said…
Ooh, those are all such great suggestions! I'd love to have Dave Barry over!