Current projects (more to come soon on this list!):
Short piece in The Insecure Writer's Support Group Guide to Publishing and Beyond, available free!
Druid's Moon (contemporary paranormal romance)
A one thousand year old Druids' curse enslaves a Man, but what happens when Beauty refuses to help the Beast?
When Lyne, fresh out of graduate school, accepts a position at an archaeological dig at a seaside cave site in England, she might have signed up for more than she expected. The beast who guards the caverns gets too close for comfort, but rescues her during a disaster at sea.
When she kisses him in gratitude, the beast turns into a man.
Now he wants her to be Beauty to his Beast, but the evil force at the heart of the caverns is bent on revenge for the loss of its servant. Can Lyne work with the beast long enough to defeat the ancient horror of the caves? And what happens when she finds herself falling in love?
The Face of A Lion (middle grade, set in current year and AD 43)
Book One of the Rising Sea series
When thirteen-year-old Austin's parents drag him along to a villa in Turkey they've rented for the summer, he hunkers down and counts the days until he can get back home to his friends in England. But that's before he rescues a talking cat, witnesses a bloody ritual that causes two people to disappear, and finds himself whisked back in time.
Nearly two thousand years in the past, he makes a new friend--and a new enemy. A powerful evil wants to prevent Claudius the Emperor's invasion of Britain. Austin has to act fast to ensure that the invasion does take place--or time and civilization as he knows it will never be the same.
Book Two begins with Austin and Kedi at the Colosseum.
Out of the Water (historical romance, set in 1492)
Book One of the Middle Sea series
After she becomes separated from her family as they flee their Spanish homeland - and the Inquisition - the last thing eighteen-year-old Rosa expects to find is love.
Her one hope of reaching Constantinople and finding her family lies with a stranger, Baha, a Muslim artist from the Ottoman Empire. Rosa's drive to find her loved ones is matched by a deepening desire for the man at her side. Yet despite all his help in reuniting them, her family rejects this man of a different faith, forcing her to choose between them.
Constantinople was meant to be her family's refuge, but when janissaries arrest her father and brother, Rosa and Baha risk their lives on a daring rescue. Together they will prove that their love can withstand their differences... if the Sultan's Grand Vizier doesn't throw them both in the dungeons first.
Rome, Rhymes and Risk (historical romance, set in 1493)
Book Two of the Middle Sea series, featuring Ayten and Devran from Out of the Water
Ayten, an Ottoman girl kidnapped as a slave, is rescued and embarks on a voyage across the Mediterranean with her new friends, on their way to join Columbus' second voyage. She finds herself falling for the man who owns the ship: Devran, the son of the Grand Vizier.
Exiled for a crime he did not commit, Devran's also got one secret: before Ayten was kidnapped, her father had arranged for her to marry Devran.
Devran's been in love with Ayten for months - but having met him only after his exile, Ayten believes him a penniless rake. Their ship docks for a week at Venice, where Ayten turns her attentions to the Sultan's brother, Cem.
Can Devran prove his worth to her before they set sail again?
Captive of the Sea (historical romance, set in the 1470s)
Book Three of the Middle Sea series, featuring Santiago (Rosa's father) from Out of the Water
Back when he was a young sailor, Santiago travelled to England and fell in love with a Welsh girl called Mawdlen (Magdelana).
Mawdlen's involved in some shady activities, however, that soon get him into trouble. How can Santiago win her heart? Will she be willing to give up her life of intrigue as a spy to return with him to Spain?
Books I'm Reading and Finished Books
- Alexandria by Monica Byrne (short story)
- Testament of Experience by Vera Brittain
- Zoom sur Plainpalais by Corinne Jaquet
- Sophie's Choice by William Styron
- ***Reading At Intervals***
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw
- Burning Sky by Lori Benton
- 12 Anne and Avonlea books by L. M. Montgomery (skimming/reread (this was free on Kindle!))
- Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford
- Istanbul Noir (Akashic Books anthology)
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien manuscripts edited by J. D. Rateliff
- The Jerusalem Bible
- ***Finished Books***
- Hermit Crab by Peter Porter (poem)
- The Hidden Land by Private Irving (poem; http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2017/02/bits-n-pieces-writers-houseparty.html)
- The Little Turtle by Vachel Lindsay (poem; reread)
- Dear Mr Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
- My Own Two Feet by Beverly Cleary
- Managed by Kristen Callihan
- beta read! (JB)
- The Making of Outlander by Tara Bennett
- The Children of Men by P. D. James
- A Daughter's A Daughter by Mary Westmacott (Agatha Christie)
- A Girl From Yamhill by Beverly Cleary
- Sunlight by Margaret Rucker (poem; floating in a cocktail glass)
- Save the Cat by Blake Snyder
- Preface to The Hobbit, by Christopher Tolkien
- Ilk Defa... by Beste Barki (essays)
- Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers (essay)
- The Moon and I by Betsy Byars
- The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson
- Rogue Warrior by Regan Walker
- Beauty and the Beast by Villeneuve
- Black (what was this? I don't remember!)
- Dance of the Jakaranda by Peter Kimani
- Thomas the Tank Engine by Rev. Awry (26 book collection)
- beta read (Born to Run by RB)
- The Little Turtle by Vachel Lindsay (poem; reread)
- The Kraken by Alfred Lord Tennyson (poem)
- Android's Dream by John Scalzi
- The Mysterious Tadpole by Stephen Kellogg (reread)
- Yashim Cooks Istanbul by Jason Goodwin
- Miniatures by John Scalzi
- Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
- Kitty-in-Boots by Beatrix Potter (illustrated by Quentin Blake)
- All or Nothing by Rose Lerner (short story)
- Merry Christmas, Emily (board book)
- Extra Yarn by __ and Jan Klassen
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- The Outlandish Companion II by Diana Gabaldon
- The Outlandish Companion I, Revised by Diana Gabaldon
- MacHinery and the Cauliflowers by Alistair MacLean (short story)
- The Dileas by Alistair MacLean (short story)
- The Gold Watch by Alistair MacLean (short story)
- betty, butter, sun by Monica Byrne (short story)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay by J.K. Rowling
- The Very Cranky Bear (Scholastic)
- various haiku by R. Wodaski
- ongoing rereads of most board books listed last year!
- see the 2016 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2016/12/annual-books-read-statistics-2016.html
- see the 2015 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2015/12/annual-books-read-statistics.html
- see the 2014 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ch/2014/12/books-read-in-2014-review.html
- see the 2013 list and statistics at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2014/01/toast-to-professor-books-read-in-2013.html
- see the 2012 list and statistics here http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-hobbit-review-and-year-end-books.html
- see the 2011 statistics on http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011-statistics-fourth.html
- see the 2011 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/books-read-in-2011.html
- see the 2010 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2010/12/books-read-in-2010-listed-here.html
- see the 2009 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-ii.html
- also in 2009 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2009/12/books-read-in-2009-part-iv.html
- see the 2008 list at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-ii.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-vi.html
- also in 2008 at http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2008/12/books-read-in-2008-part-iv.html