Larksong, Blog Pages, Geneva Observatory, and Paris Photos

Guess what?

I've gone back to Larksong, Alice and George's story!

Their tale is from a NaNoWriMo some years ago: 2013!

I've put off editing it for a while because, even though back then I made time to type it up, I did it very messily. Some scenes might still be in a notebook, and I hope I know where it is.

Also, I emailed it to myself as I went but I don't know what was going on, I didn't save a compiled file as I went (or maybe it's in Scrivener and I need to recall the password to my ancient laptop?!) so the email chain is in backwards story order. Plus it's interlarded with semi-edited snips I used in writing exercises on thelitforum. Sigh.

But I still like them, and their time period too (Canada, summer 1914, the last before the war). So here goes...

The story (from a dream in 2010!) features two characters who think they know what hardship is. By the end of the summer they've learned that not only are they stronger than they believed, but just how much they'll need that strength in the months to come. And, of course, it's a romance!

Here's a snip, and here are a few more snips, plus the theme and some research (and more research here)!

Here's a blurb I drafted in 2013 (!) and some photos of George (and some more George images here. I don't have any images for Alice!):
Reluctant debutante Alice Cunnick is responsible for handling her grandmother's estate, but has no wish to dismantle a home -- and an aviary -- that has helped define who she is. Raised in an upper class family in Montreal and Toronto, she longs to find a place in the world based on her merits and not her father's wealth and position.
A brief misunderstanding with two young tenants at her grandmother's cottage gives Alice one last summer to live on her own terms, dropping her father's name and taking on the role of governess to a passel of girls.
The last thing she expected was their brother to come along as well -- their older, crabbier, nuisance of a brother. Yet Alice is sure there's a good man underneath that crusty exterior. Only how can she reach him when she's hiding her own identity?

Nursing a broken leg from a hockey injury and missing out on the Grand Tour of Europe all his friends have embarked on, George McKerrow is cantankerous on his best days. The bitterest pill is having to recover on his own, at a lakeside cottage miles from the entertainments in the city.
His sisters' governess is a good-looking, feisty young woman, but it would never do for a McKerrow to make a play for someone of such lower stature. Hiding his growing attraction for her under a surly attitude does him no good when the children pull a horrible prank and release all the birds in the aviary. Stuck in his wheelchair, George is useless at hunting for them -- and even if he wasn't Alice, would refuse his help.
Then the unthinkable happens -- Canada is at war. The sooner his leg heals, the sooner George can heed the call and join up. He's a brave man -- but can he gather his courage to declare his feelings to Alice before he goes?

I meant to share links to all my blog pages today, and it turns out I've got lots of snips related to Larksong on my Snips Page!

And I have a page with all the collated links to writing snips up to September 2020!

Then there's the page of all current writing projects, with brief summaries!

And of course my winner's badge for the year of Larksong is on my NaNo winning badges page!

Then there's the AMA page: Need a writing prompt? Pick a question from the Ask Me Anything list!

There are also some Never Have I Ever... questions.

I've also got a page for our Writers on the Moon group!



Now's a good time to share photos from our visit to the Geneva University Observatory open house!







I love looking at old instruments, even if I don't understand them!





Looking at the sun! We saw solar flares!

The Jura



Building telescopes!



During the planetarium show



A little butterfly gathering spot out in the grounds!















All the stickers and cards I collected!

Here's a page for various blog awards I've won, plus the Kedi's Paw badge I created!

Then there's a page for all the Blogging from A to Z April Challenges!


And now, Paris! In the springtime!

View from the hotel

Home of artist George Seurat

Dessert at the American-style restaurant!

Climbing up to Sacre Coeur





View towards the Eiffel Tower!

Sacre Coeur Basilica

















Metro signs!





Restaurant with a menu of dishes from the French-Swiss border regions



\






Do you have a page with all your projects collated?
What's your favourite dessert?

Comments

Hi Deniz - what a great variety ... and I love the snippet learning more about Alice and George - good luck as the story develops. Excellent being able to visit the Observatory ... fun to go to. Then 'gay' Paris ... gorgeous ... while Le Train Bleu - how amazing ... what a fantastic place to have visited ... it hadn't hit my brain! Now I want to check out all the artists who decorated the restaurant ... thank you - loved the post - cheers Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks so much, Hilary! I think I maybe have posted Paris photos twice over the summer, oops!