IWSG Day: Writing Romance, and ROW80 Final Week

How can it be June already?

The current round of ROW80 ends next week! I haven't been progressing much on my main goal, which is to edit The Handful of Time. I did keep up with both the April and May writing exercises on the lit forum, though! Looking forward to finding out what the June exercise will be.


It's another Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!

This month's IWSG Day Question: Of all the genres you read and write, which is your favorite to write in and why?

My favourite to write in is not the same as my favourite to read. I read widely in lots of genres, but my favourite to write in is romance! Back when I was dragging myself out of a dry well, I was working on an MG, and what I thought was a YA...

Here are a few ancient blogposts in which I explored the process of rediscovering my love of writing romance:


The Face of A Lion, my MG
Seeking a title for Austin's story
Still seeking a title
Found a title for Austin's story!
Explaining the title, The Face of A Lion

Naming characters part I and naming characters part II

Slow work on The Face of A Lion

In which I find a photo of Austin!
A meme on Austin

The Face of A Lion is complete!


Out of the Water, my historical romance
Oh! I thought I'd started her story in the summer of 2009, but look, it was earlier than that! I have on record almost the exact moment when Rosa came into my head!

And here's me finally getting some research done
One year on, I hard hardly learned anything about her
Look! An outtake! This scene isn't even in the novel anymore.
Isabella and Ferdinand (the pub where I took this photo has now been demolished. Oh, how I miss the trivia nights!)
Four months later, I'd only achieved 10,000 words more
A meme about Rosa
And we have a title!

That's when things began to heat up...
The writers' houseparty that started it all
Outtakes from Rosa and the Earl of Rochester's romance

Some inspirational images, here, here, and here, as well as fooling around with old masters, and more fun with Picasa

What is a houseparty, anyway? Guest posting at Kait Nolan's, with an explanation



The awesome co-hosts for the June 5 posting of the IWSG are:
Co-Hosts:
 Diane Burton, Kim Lajevardi, Sylvia Ney, Sarah Foster, Jennifer Hawes, and Madeline Mora-Summonte!

Do you prefer to read or write romance, or another genre entirely?
Have you found inspiration in classic paintings?

Comments

S.A. Larsenッ said…
Yes, I love romance! (No pun intended.) I also read from a lot of genres. I think expanding my reach this way helps my writing.
Sarah Foster said…
I read all different genres, too, but there are only a few that I typically like to write. You never know what kind of story ideas could pop into my brain, though. I've been surprised before.
Chrys Fey said…
Whatever genre I write, romance works its way in. :)
Hope your romance writing is recharged now.
Roland Clarke said…
Romance is a genre I never intentionally read - yet I have read a few. Jane Austen was an early addiction. But I find writing romance hard.
Hi Deniz - I hardly ever read romance ... sometimes short stories (perhaps often in magazines, when I'm whiling my time away). Good luck with all your projects - particularly your personal writing - cheers Hilary