So Many Google Books...

...So Little Time is the title of a recent post by Snail's Tales, about how many interesting books there are on Google Books, and how there's just not time enough to read them all.

I can't read books on the computer, my eyes glaze over and I get distracted; instead, my method is to print them, four pages per sheet and double sided, which sometimes causes squinting, but at least I can curl up on the sofa or in bed or carry them on the train, etc. Most importantly, I can make notes in the margins; sometimes these 19th Century books have some squiggly sentence structure and some equally squiggly ideas.

Here are a few that are on my To Read pile:

A Scots Grammar of Turkish:


Tom Brown at Oxford by Thomas Hughes, sequel to Tom Brown's Schooldays, which is sadly out of print:


Journal of A Tour in the Levant, in three volumes:


Trickster Travels:


A guide to single women from 1936 (this one is not out of print, but I'd like to read the original edition):


A book of classic English fairy tales written by a Welshman:


Robert Graves' guide to writing:


European cartographers in the Ottoman world:


Someday I'll read these, and then find some more...

Comments