Books Read in 2008 Part II

Here are all the books I read in the past year (I wish I'd kept this sort of list from the age of 10 or so...):

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling (lovely!)
Hundreds and Thousands by Emily Carr (lovely; lots of good advice on creativity, among other tidbits; yesterday was the 137th anniversary of Emily Carr's birth; I wish I could have been her friend))
Ask the Dust by John Fante (Has anyone else read this? What'd y'all think? It wasn't as much fun as Full of Life)
StitchnBitch Nation (Birthday Gift from Helen! Sooo many patterns to choose from!)
Hindsight by Barbara Rogan (read it! read it!) (http://www.barbararogan.com/)
Stories by John Buchan (the Folio edition; our erstwhile Governor General!)
Travels with Charley in Search of America by John Steinbeck (still very relevant!)
First Folio (collection of forewords from 15 Folio Society books)
This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski (short story; very affecting)
Borders by Thomas King (short story; love his works)
Hairball by Margaret Atwood (short story; her stories always leave a sour taste)
A Dill Pickle by Katherine Mansfield (short story; the kind I'd like to be able to write)
One of These Days by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (short story; I don't know what it is, I seem to have a mental block/aversion where he's concerned; this story simply didn't *conclude* for me)
Home by Marilynne Robinson (how could I resist breaking the book ban to buy this? I saw it at the airport bookstore and held it for ever so long until I finally broke down and took it to the cash register...Ah, Jack. It's been two days and I'm still crying over this)
If You Could See Me Now by Cecilia Ahern (cute story that's been very badly/quickly edited)
Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (Guinness is good for you)
What's Wrong With the World by G. K. Chesterton (I can't believe all these things were Right There in 1910 and no one worked on fixing them, Now what's wrong with the world has been compounded a hundredfold)
Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson (pure poetry!)
In Between the Sheets by Ian McEwan (Ick ick ick. And kinda pointless too.)
The Best of Roald Dahl (short stories) (So deliciously creepy!)
Paul Patoff by Crawford, F. Marion (Francis Marion) (1899) (Fun adventure/romance - but first cousins!!!)
Garden in the Wind by Gabrielle Roy (I should have read the French original, but someone let me this collection of four short stories... first time I've read this brilliant Canadian author!)
From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (reread)
Tales Before Tolkien Anthology selected by Douglas Anderson (some exciting SF in here!)
After London by Richard Jeffries (1886)
The Birth House by Ami McKay
The Travelling Rug by Dorothy L. Sayers
An Ocean Apart by Robin Pilcher (Son of Rosamunde Pilcher. Anyone for head-hopping?)
The Iron Wolf and Other Stories by Richard Adams (how'd you do cube roots?)
Pliny's Natural History Books I and II
Prisoners in the Promised Land by Marsha Skrypuch (Hi Marsha!)
The Stand by Stephen King (reread; 1980 Signet paperback edition)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (reread; it is a far far better thing that I do now...)
Australian Short Stories
Full of Life by John Fante
Hats Off Andy Capp by Smythe
Hurray For Andy Capp by Smythe (I should coco!)
Somebody Else's Summer by Jean Little (Bilbo the parrot!)
Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser (did you know that the 19th Century was raunchy?)
Tom Brown's Schooldays by Thomas Hughes (don't know why I never read this before, but I'm reading it now so I can read the Flashman books!)
Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engle (just what I needed for motivation)
Persuasion by Jane Austen (my first Austen; I was pleasantly surprised; it could have been written yesterday!)
The Moon and Sixpence by Somerset Maugham (next up, The Razor's Edge)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (read it!)
My Lord and Spymaster by Joanna Bourne (Get it! Get it! Get it!)
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Lord of the Nutcracker Men by Iain Lawrence
The Fables of Aesop (Folio Edition)
Monty Python's Big Red Book (hilarious! duh!)
Eyes of the World by Rob Palmer (first thriller I've read in a looong time - it was worth it! Unexpected but believable characters and a good pace - none of this shoot 'em up every two pages nonsense)
One For the Money by Janet Evanovich (oh no! I'm hooked! *Thirteen* books to go!)
Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich (first "light" book I've read in a while... A couple of copy editing errors, but overall, lots of fun and with great characters. If you're heading to a beach, bring it with you!)
The Perils of Pleasure by... I forgot (a not-so bad Romance. But you really can't read too many in a row, can you, or they all start to sound the same... Except Jo Bourne, of course - I could read a book of hers every week!)
Catriona by Robert Louis Stevenson
Stoics and Sceptics by Edwyn Bevan
Dear Bill, Remember Me? by Norma Fox Mazer
Ready or Not by Mary Stolz
The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis (all 7; reread before the release of Prince Caspian the movie)
On Writing by Stephen King (if you haven't read it yet, do!)
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon (3rd reread)
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (3rd reread)
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (3rd reread)
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (go! read it!)
Franklin’s Bad Day
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Decline of the English Murder and Other Essays by George Orwell
The Clicking of Cuthbert by P G Wodehouse
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D H Lawrence
Scorpia (Alex Rider) by Anthony Horowitz
Skeleton Key (Alex Rider) by Anthony Horowitz
Eagle Strike (Alex Rider) by Anthony Horowitz
Point Blank (Alex Rider) by Anthony Horowitz
Stormbreaker (Alex Rider) by Anthony Horowitz
Christian Behaviour by C S Lewis
Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson
The Temple of Diana at Ephesus by Falkener (1865)
The Heart of A Peacock by Emily Carr
Claudius the God by Robert Graves
I, Claudius by Robert Graves
Heretics by G K Chesterton
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (see review in blog)
Ms Zephyr's Notebook by kc dyer
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
The Naked Chef Takes Off by Jamie Oliver
Cook with Jamie Oliver
The Spymaster's Lady by Jo Bourne
The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion by Hammond and Scull
Growing Pains, the autobiography of Emily Carr
The Return of the King (reread)
Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
Short Stories of Ian Rankin (read the first story only)
Wet Magic by E Nesbit
Panorama of the Classical World (skimmed)
Oxford Companion to Classical Civilization
The Romans, their Daily Life and Customs (skimmed)
Medina, Maiden of Ephesus
Brothers Far From Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates by Jean Little
The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy Sayers
Five Red Herrings by Dorothy Sayers
The House of All Sorts by Emily Carr
Dear Canada: A Season for Miracles (short stories)

Comments

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said…
I should blog about the ones I read. Did you finish After London? I got stuck around p. 40.
Deniz Bevan said…
Garn, yes, I dragged myself through it, just to see if anything exciting would happen, ever. The ending was sooo lame! And he never did explain what the catastrophe was that wiped out the world - some sort of gas fire, judging from the endless chapters of him crawling through a murky mist of strange colours and the black residue that was left on his skin... miraculously wiped off a few days later!