Upcoming Vacation...and Insecure Writer's Support Group Day

Well, I've done it now.


I keep going on and on about having no time, but I've just sent off a character to my first ever Ask Me Anything.



This is a form of the monthly exercise on thelitforum that generally dissolves into a Writers' Houseparty event. It's the only houseparty-type happening on the Forum that I've ever missed out on, even for those of my characters (like Austin and Kedi) who have attended every houseparty.

This time around, while Kedi might make a cameo, I've sent in a brand new character. The justification is that this might save me time and give me some buffer words when I come to write his story during NaNoWriMo. I know about his romantic life, but nothing about the sort of plot he might get involved in!

His name is Simon Chevalley MacDonald. His story was originally meant to be called The Antipodean Time (working title), as it follows The Charm of Time, A Handful of Time, and A Stitch in Time, and was meant to take place possibly while he and his twin, Alex, were living and working in Australia. Now, the story starts much later, when he's about 30, already 10 years after his trip to Australia.

I've just had a look at some of my timelines (unfortunately not all clearly saved in Scrivener, but scattered across emails) and fit him in:

  • December 2017            Christianne and Rory and Amelie and Angus meet
  • February/March 2018  Simon and Alex return from Australia c. age 19
  • June 2018                     Christianne and Rory courthouse wedding
  • December 2018            Christianne and Rory Scotland wedding; Amelie and Angus officially going together
  • November 2019           Stephanie born to Christianne and Rory
  • 2023                             Amelie and Angus wedding; Simon and Alex attend c. age 24
  • 2028                             Son born to Amelie and Angus
  • 2029                             Simon and Alex turn 30 at end of year
  • 2030                             Simon's story starts?

Whew. Anyway, here's sort of what he looks like (screenshot taken from an ad):



Perhaps somewhat fittingly, today is Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!


This month's question - Has your writing ever taken you by surprise? For example, a positive and belated response to a submission you'd forgotten about or an ending you never saw coming?

It does, often! I love the serendipity in writing that comes with research as well. One of the more recent was when I chose an existing historical building as a setting for a girls' private school, then found out that it was used as such one time! I love it when my characters and my story surprise me. Sometimes I think I don't let them surprise me enough..
The awesome co-hosts for the August 7 posting of the IWSG are
Renee Scattergood, Sadira Stone, Jacqui Murray, Tamara Narayan, and LG Keltner!

And, no connection to the above, here is some yummy-looking local honey!



Don't you love honey?
What are your favourite plot tropes?

Comments

What a great idea, and I love the detail of your character 🌹
Karen Baldwin said…
I agree with you about research. Sometimes I get stuck there way too long. And honey? Love it! Here in Mexico on the Caribbean coast where i live, Mayan honey is amazing. But recently I've been bringing Manuka honey back from the States when I visit.
Maybe that's it - I don't let my characters surprise me enough.
Sarah Foster said…
My characters are always surprising me. Makes me wonder who's actually writing the story...
dolorah said…
I get new ideas from my characters all the time. They are so stubborn and insistent - or is that resistant. Thats a great character time line. I've had to create a couple of those to keep my stories straight in my head - and on paper.
Hi Deniz - well my brain gives me ideas ... but perhaps I'm quite glad I don't have characters wandering around asking me questions. The honey looks really good - love it ... cheers Hilary
Roland Clarke said…
I love honey, Deniz. Now, I'm wondering if my characters do. I admit to using timelines to sort out events - and surprises.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for coming by, all!