IWSG Day and Reflections: Blogging from A to Z April Challenge

Hello!

It's Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!

Insecure Writer's Support Group

A database resource site and support group for writers and authors. Featuring weekly guests and tips, a monthly blogfest gathering, a Facebook group, a book club, and thousands of links – all to benefit writers! #IWSG

Website / Facebook Group / Twitter / Book Club
Reedsy DiscountPast Issues

The awesome co-hosts for the May 4 posting of the IWSG areKim Elliott, Melissa Maygrove, Chemist Ken, Lee Lowery, and Nancy Gideon!

This month's question: It's the best of times; it's the worst of times. What are your writer highs (the good times)? And what are your writer lows (the crappy times)?

That's a fun question! The highest high is the sudden inspiration of a new idea, that feeling that I must put pen to paper right away before I lose it all. Drafting is also a high. Moments of synchronicity, when something I've researched or a feeling I've had about what a character might do turns out to fit exactly into the plot and/or theme.


The not so good times are having to go back to the story again and again to edit the draft, when I start feeling as though there's no point, because who's ever going to want to read this drivel?


Another awesome high is having a story accepted for publication!


The Blogging From A to Z April Challenge is over!

#AtoZChallenge 2022 WINNER badge 

Here's this year's bingo card:

Now for the reflections post!

Reflections 2022 #atozchallenge

Give consideration to how the A to Z Challenge impacted your blog.
The number of visitors went up! I'm sure it would have been even more if I had commented on others more regularly. It's difficult to get into a rhythm for this, in between work and writing, unfortunately.

What gave you the idea for your Challenge Theme, if you used one?
I love having a theme because it makes scheduling easier. I was casting around some of my old posts when the idea of highlighting all my guest posts and all our blog hops and blogfests occurred to me. Always fun to point others to fellow bloggers!

This year included a deliberation to find another graphic person after the loss of Jeremy. Muse about the imagination and talent of Anjela.
What is your impression of the A to Z Team?

Such a dedicated team! It really helps to keep things cohesive and running smoothly. Hoping next year I'll have time again to volunteer as a commentor. Welcome, Anjela!

Already looking forward to next year!


Two bits of news:
 
"This January, Publishers Weekly turned 150 years old, and we’re celebrating that milestone this week with our biggest single issue in years. It should keep you reading for weeks. You could start by getting oriented with these letters from PW editorial director Jim Milliot and former co–editorial director Michael Coffey, who helmed our anniversary issue. Or you could dive right into this 150-year history of the magazine, see the people we chose as the book business’s top 25 change makers of the past 25 years, or just open the issue homepage and click at random. Plus, we’ll continue to roll out the rest of the stories from the issue right here in PW Daily over the next few weeks, so don’t go anywhere.

Back when I was just starting out as a reader, I noticed early on that any book with praise by Publishers Weekly on its cover was a really good book! I've trusted their reviews for years.

RIP Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper, who, with Michael Turner, translated all of the Tintin books into English.
One of her first jobs was apparently "private secretary to Lord Rothschild and [she] spent two years cataloguing his library."
That sounds like great fun to me!

CampNaNo is over!


I got quite a bit written on The Future In Time, but I'm still about 14 scenes away from being able to write "The End".
Hopefully by the end of May!

What are some of your upcoming projects?

Comments

moondustwriter said…
Glad to hear that you got more views from the A to Z challenge. I am always grateful for the people I meet through the challenge.
Best with your writing - hope your project goes well.

Moonie
You had a really good April! Glad you enjoyed the Challenge.
Congrats with finishing the challenge! Getting something accepted for publication is always a good feeling.

Ronel visiting for A-Z Challenge Reflections 2022

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Culling the To-Do List and the TBR
I also got more views, but have not gone through all my numbers yet.

Congratulations on completing this year!
--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side | A to Z of Conspiracy Theories
Haddock said…
Now I will keep a look out for books with praise by Publishers Weekly.
Hi Deniz - your blog is always informative and you do keep wonderful stats, while keeping us informed about so much. So pleased you enjoyed the A-Z ... each year I yearn to do it again, but am unlikely to start again. Take care - enjoy the summer ... cheers Hilary
Diane Burton said…
I can identify with your highs and lows.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks, everyone! It's been a great feeling, coming back to the challenge!
Red said…
I see a lot of people commenting on their stats. I always forget to check, and wouldn't take the time to compare against previous years if I did.
I enjoy the challenge, I enjoy meeting other bloggers and finding new blogs to read, but my blog is kind of a side bar to my life and I just don't think about numbers anymore. I used to. Back in my first few years of blogging, I was part of a very active group of bloggers who got very involved in each other's lives and writings. I guess things change.
Congratulations on another AtoZ under the bridge!
Deniz Bevan said…
I haven't been focused on my numbers for a few years now, either, because life got busy! But I'm trying to be quite a bit more active now, with a book release coming up!