Reading! Book Reviews! New Kait Nolan!
ook reviews!
I'm going to try to collate a fewof my short reviews from the past few months. This doesn't cover all the books we've all been reading, because it's so difficult to keep up with the Books Read list! Among other books (and lots of comic book rereads, Far Side, Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, Tintin, Asterix, etc), older kiddo is reading The Mysterious Benedict Society series and younger kiddo is reading the Animorphs series. The last post in the Books Read series was a month ago!
We loved the Buttons McGinty series by Rhys Darby, and really loved all the Patrice Lawrence we read. Katherine Applegate, Martha Wells, TJ Klune, Louise Penny, Catherine Mack... I'd recommend them all for summertime reading! Or wintertime cosy reading if you're not in summer. Lots of great Canadian authors to add to that list, too!
Kait Nolan's latest is releasing this weekend!
The final book in the Hatterwick Island series; each book can be read as a standalone, but the long arc is now complete if you want to follow the central mystery.
I've spent my career searching for the missing.
The irony isn't lost on me.
When the investigative podcast I work for gets a request to look into a cold case off the Carolina coast, there are a hundred reasons I should say no. But some cases find you for a reason, and this one hits too close to home to refuse.
Hatterwick Island is beautiful and insular and hiding something far deeper than one missing girl. The closer we get to the truth, the more dangerous it becomes—for the investigation, for the people I'm working with, and for me in ways I can't afford to examine too closely.
Jace Hollingsworth is island royalty with twelve years in the Navy and eyes that don't miss much. He's got good instincts, and he's already suspicious of me.
I have good reasons to be careful.
But the longer I stay on this island, the harder it gets to remember why I was so determined to keep my distance—from the case, from these people, and from a man who sees more of me than anyone has in a very long time.
Some doors, once opened, don't close again.
I came here for answers.
I'm no longer sure that's what I'll find.
The story of Jace and Layla (love her nickname, Tiger) brings the long arc of this series to a close in a brilliant fashion. It has just the right pace of mystery and thriller and romance after the build up across the books, the red herrings, the reveals...chef's kiss! I love strong characters who are sure in themselves, and stayed up far too late to read about their coming together, even as they faced not only the villains but unknown villains, doubting their own families along the way. Don't forget to check out the bonus epilogue at the end of each book!
Enjoy some brownies while you read! I got the recipe from a story!



Comments