Alan Sillitoe RIP

I just found out that Alan Sillitoe passed away on 25 April (no thanks to my local paper - I saw the obituary in The Economist for last week). I can't remember if I read The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner first, or saw the movie first. But that film was the first time I'd heard Jerusalem sung by a choir; one of my favourite hymns and poems. I'd like to read his autobiographies.

Here is Blake's poem:

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England's green and pleasant Land

Comments

Aubrie said…
A lot of famous people have died this last week. It makes me melancholy to thin about it. RIP Alan.