Round of Words in 80 Days Check In and Kate Kaynak's Legacy

Sunday check in on the Round of Words in 80 Days. What was my goal again?






Oh, yes, editing. Well, I've been plugging away solidly, except for a brief hiccough on Thursday when I did nothing (but I did read Kait Nolan's Devil's Eye!) and on Friday when I could have edited a lot more but, er, blogged instead.

Still, happy to report that Rosa and Baha have now met, 10,000 words into the novel (is that too late for Romance?) and now they're busy rescuing her family together. No major upheavals yet.


Kate Kaynak has a new book in her Ganzfield series, Legacy, which I read over the course of two days last week.

"Maddie has more problems than the average seventeen-year-old:

A psychotic killer with superpowers wants her dead.
A serious medical issue makes a "normal life" impossible.
And she's about to be introduced to Trevor's family.

Guess which one freaks her out the most?"

Normally, I'm not the kind that likes to jump into the middle of a series, but this one not only pulled me right in, I didn't feel lost at all. Legacy has a great cast of characters and references here and there to all the back stories weren't distracting - they simply made me want to go read the first two books in the series.

Another thing I'm not used to reading is paranormals, but again, Kate's writing makes it all not only believable but - well, if you haven't soulmated, at least you can live vicariously through Maddie and Trevor.

Legacy is out on 28 January! Kate's also offering critiques of novel pitches - any genre welcome - on her blog. My draft is posted there now, but I'll wait for crits before sharing it here...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice job meeting your editing goals for the week. I consider reading and blogging to be "research", so you were super productive! :)

And no, I don't 10K is too far in for romance. Build up is grand.
Anonymous said…
"Still, happy to report that Rosa and Baha have now met, 10,000 words into the novel (is that too late for Romance?"

You mean there are rules? *Hides from pitchforks*

I'd say you've done swell. :)
Claire Legrand said…
Well done on the editing! That can get maddening (although it can also be so, so much fun), so huge kudos to you in keeping at it! :)
Kim Knox said…
Congrats on editing and yep reading and blogging count as being productive. Sometimes your brain needs a rest as editing is often hard.

Good luck for next week :)
C.Farrell said…
Reading is extremely important. So is blogging. Combine those with editing and you had an awesomely productive week. :)

I like a bit of build up myself.
Hi Deniz! I'm so glad you enjoyed LEGACY. You're the first person I've heard from who's read the books out of order, and I'm delighted that LEGACY made sense. I tried to put the basics into the "Dear Reader" letter at the start. Take care! - Kate
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks for coming by and being so supportive everyone! I can't wait to jump over and visit your blogs.

Hi Kate - that Dear Reader letter helped a lot! I'm the kind of person that likes maps and glossaries and things in books anyway [g]
Rek Sesh said…
Your review makes me want to read the books.