Fooling Around With Old Masters

Lately I've been having fun with Picasa, toying with images I find on The Orientalist Gallery that remind me of scenes from Out of the Water.

There's the original image of Rosa (to reiterate, not that she actually goes around carrying baskets of oranges on her head or anything...):


Then there was my first attempt at a touch-up, inserting Rosa and Baha into
The Opium Den, which didn't work so well, mainly because they would never really be in that pose in the first place.

John William Waterhouse (1849-1917) proved more inspiring. Here's Rosa as The Unwelcome Companion:


That touchup/airbrush tool in Picasa is not very user friendly, I must say.

Next up, I might try adding Baha's face to Ludwig Deutsch's Scribe.



By the way, if you haven't seen it yet, the authors at All The World's Our Page have interviewed Australian author Chris Womersley. Leave a comment on the post to win a copy of his novel Bereft.

Comments

Unknown said…
Interesting idea! I print out photos of actors I think look like my characters and post them to my pin board. Never been quite this creative with them, though.. : P
Abhishek said…
Oh!!!

You really know how to work with (aka fool around with) Picasa!! Great Past Time!!!

with warm regards
http://becomingprince.blogspot.com
Al said…
I love to place my characters in different situations. Haven't thought about photoshopping them though.
A fun idea.
J.L. Campbell said…
Well at least you're having fun at what you're doing. :D
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks everyone! I think it helps that mine's a historical. Though what started me on all this was when I was writing my MG and stumbled across a photo in a magazine. It was Austin (my 13 year old protagonist) to a T! I hadn't expected it - but since then I keep an eye open.
Talli Roland said…
I'm with JL - looks like a good time, Deniz. Hope you had a good weekend.
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Talli! I'm jealous of all the warm weather you guys have been having.