Blackadder Status Update Day Is Tomorrow - What's Your Magnificent Octopus About?

I've had two Blackadder (one of the funniest shows in British TV history) related posts before: two of my favourite quotes, for last year's Blackadder Status Update Day ("so what was the chicken impression in aid of?" and "fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more"); and a post on Procrastinating with Rowan Atkinson.

Some of my other favourite quotes are:

"Sausage?!"
(Dr. Johnson, and the word he left out of his dictionary)

"Nathaniel sits on a spike. I sit on Nathaniel. Two spikes would be an extravagance."
(Blackadder's Puritan relatives)

"You shot my Speckled Jim!?"
(Colonel Melchett, on the loss of his passenger pigeon)

"Permission to jolly well speak right now sir, otherwise I might just burst like a bally balloon."
(George, as he's swindled by Blackadder)

"Some beans."
(Baldrick's answer to 'what is two beans plus two beans?')

"Madam, without you, life is like a broken pencil... pointless."
(Blackadder curries favour with the Queen)

"Wobble."
(Blackadder tries to get out of the war, with pencils up his nostrils)

And so on. But, in honour of all of us writers, here's Blackadder describing his magnum opus ("Edmund. A Butler's Tale. A huge, roller coaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot gypsies thrown in"), and Baldrick telling of his own 'magnificent octopus' ("Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called `Baldrick', and it lived happily ever after."):

Comments

S.P. Bowers said…
I only had a chance to read your title before kids distracted me. The whole time I was away I was wondering what magnificent octopus you were talking about. Granted my son would love it if I did have an octopus, that being one of the animals we pretend to be.

Right now my magnum opus involves a pillow and some drool. Of to create some sleep patterns.
Anonymous said…
"What does the S in his name stand for?"
"Sod Off."
"Well. I guess it's none of my business really."
Unknown said…
Hi, fellow IWSG member here! I wanted to let you know I tagged you on my blog. When you get a chance, check it out. :) What an intriguing blog you've got here!
Unknown said…
I've not seen Blackadder in a looong time, but a quote that always springs to mind,

"Woof!"

gotta love Flasheart.
Jess said…
Blackadder is SO freaking funny. Love it.
Anonymous said…
Also, from the first series: "FRESH HORSES!!!" Love Brian Blessed.
Nadja Notariani said…
Too great! I'll have to link back to this great and hysterical post. Loved the video. Rowan is so funny with his dry wit.
Tia Bach said…
I'm sure I shouldn't admit to this... but I was so clueless about this subject until your post. Never heard of it. Enjoyed the video, though, so I'll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing!
Deniz Bevan said…
Hey Sara, I was also tongue in cheek referring to DG's upcoming 'octopus' novel [g]

Love your quotes, too, everyone!

You've got lots of hilarity ahead of you, Tia!