ROW80 and Insecure Writer's Support Group Day: Traditional Publishing



super

quick

post

today,

as things have suddenly gotten extra busy...

Thanks again to illustrator Magali Studer for the drop cap!


Today is Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!

The optional question for this month is: What publishing path are you considering/did you take, and why?

I've always considered traditional publishing, because I grew up in the era when self-publishing meant a fanzine photocopied at your parent's office or a book you'd had printed through an author-gouging vanity publisher.

The landscape has changed enormously since then! I think self-publishing is an amazing option nowadays, for those who wish to control the entire process, and are able to employ the right editors, designers, copy editors, and so on that can help them get the book finalized. Self-published or traditionally published, there's nothing like the formal editing process for making a manuscript shine.

I've been thinking all year of self-publishing a mini anthology of five of my short stories, but haven't been able to devote time to the project yet.

Otherwise, I've been traditionally published through Carina Press!


It was a great experience and I hope to repeat it.

Thank you to this month's IWSG Day co-hosts: Toi Thomas, T. Powell Coltrin, M.J. Fifield, and Tara Tyler!


We're now in week 10 of round 3 of A Round of Words in 80 Days for this year. I've forgotten all my other goals, as I've been concentrating on this new novella, Summer Blaze, which is nearly at 20,000 words! Hoping for a major round of edits tomorrow, as it's a public holiday (thanksgiving/jeune Genevois).

I've also been writing, sporadically, scenes for another story altogether, which features one of my characters falling in love with another author's character. I'll try to share a snip soon!

There are lots of related images for these scenes, and for the novella, on my Story Inspirations board on Pinterest:



Have you explored self-publishing?
Are you no longer receiving email notifications for blog comments? Have you found a solution? Please share!

Comments

You've had success with traditional and now you have options, which is good!
Adrienne Reiter said…
I'm a hybrid published author, but haven't had much success with self publishing. Although, I have colleagues that have had wild success with it.
dolorah said…
Congrats on the publication. Looks awesome.
sage said…
It is amazing how self-publishing has changed the world. I know people that are making a good living, but they are working hard. I have thought that I need to publish online my dissertation--for decades I thought I would publish it otherwise, but never wanted to do the editing. Now I am working on taking what I learn there and incorporating it into a creative non-fiction project.
Hi Deniz - it's hard to read that you've suddenly become busy ... I'd already had that listed as one of your characteristics - if it is a characteristic. You are the epitome of how we should all be leading our lives ... good luck with all things going as this month progresses and into the next one -cheers Hilary
Roland Clarke said…
I've self-published the revised edition of my debut novel - original was as an e-book with a small press. Neither sold very well, but I have to treat those as learning experiences. Always impressed with how other writers, like you Deniz, get so much done.
Toi Thomas said…
Happy Be-lated IWSG Day!
Thanks for sharing your publishing path. Glad trad publishing has worked out well for you. I wish you all the best with any future self-pub endeavors.
I had no idea there was an issue with blog comments. I hope it all works out.
Michael Di Gesu said…
Hi, Deniz...

Happy your publisher is working out for you! I'm going for traditional as well. Still working on trying to get an agent after all these years... I may start querying the publisher directly next.
Deniz Bevan said…
Belated thanks to you all! I am finally getting around to a comprehensive blog comment catch up!