IWSG Day, New Kait Nolan! and CampNaNo

It's Insecure Writer's Support Group Day!


April 7th's question, if you'd like to answer it, is: Are you a risk-taker when writing? Do you try something radically different in style/POV/etc. or add controversial topics to your work?

Sometimes, is the short answer!

I do try different POVs and styles, but don't approach many controversial topics. I would definitely like to try a few different forms in future, such as telling a story entirely through one person's thoughts, or a murder mystery that works backwards, or a family saga that covers many generations and decades!

 Thanks to our awesome co-hosts for the April 7 posting of the IWSG!

 PK Hrezo, Pat Garcia, SE White, Lisa Buie Collard, and Diane Burton!


Kait Nolan has a new book out!

The prequel, Bad Case of Loving You, was recently released, and now the full novel is out!

Made for Loving You
A wounded warrior
After the catastrophic loss of his best friend in battle, Army Ranger Tyson Brooks trades in his fatigues for a badge, moving to Eden’s Ridge, Tennessee to rebuild his life and find a way to live in a world without Garrett. But no amount of protecting and serving the citizens of Stone County is enough to override the guilt that he simply didn’t do enough.
An incurable romantic
Romance author Paisley Parish has spent her whole career chasing the perfect hero and finding all the real life options lacking. Until she runs into her high school sweetheart—the one who left her for the Army. The old spark is definitely still alive, but the man carries far more scars than the boy. 
A second chance to save each other
When Paisley becomes the target of malicious harassment, the police have no suspects, no leads, no way to make her feel safe. As her stalker escalates, she turns to the one guy she knows can protect her. Ty’s determined to put a stop to the harassment, even if it means moving in with the woman who’s so much more than the girl he used to love. He just has to remember to guard his own heart in the process.

I was so excited to finally read Ty's story! I'd been waiting and hoping for his Happily Ever After. I never expected it to be with Paisley! Love how perfect she seems to be for him, and he for her.

I have to admit, when I was younger, I found second chance romances difficult, because of All Those Wasted Years! But now that I'm older, I really love them for the way they show that there's always hope and that love is strong. This one's a story to warm your heart -- you'll be up all night to finish it!

And as an aside, it's great to see an author get the details of IVF correct (compared with, say, Gone Girl, the whole resolution of which hinges on an IVF procedure that simply could not have happened that way)!


In other news, I'm doing CampNaNo!

I've done CampNaNo twice in July and once before in April!

I like the looseness of Camp, since I can set my own goal and not focus on one project too intensely. The goal for this Camp is to get back into a regular writing habit. I've committed to only 250 words per day! And I'm back to exploring Austin, Kedi, and Brother Arcturus' adventures on Columbus' return voyage to Spain.

I always work better with prompts, so this time I'm using all the prompts from the March writing exercise on thelitforum, which involved all kinds of rhetorical devices. So far I've used anaphora, epistrophe, conduplicatio, and anadiplosis!

I haven't updated ROW80 in ages and it's nearly the end of round 1. I'll have to do a proper update soon! For now, please enjoy some mountain photos!



Are you keeping up a regular writing or creating habit?
What stories have you been exploring?

Comments

Hi Deniz – certainly the Kait Nolan novel appears to be a good read – glad to know you’ll enjoy it … also interesting to note the IVF aspect …
CampNaNo – well done; while the rhetorical devices via thelitforum sound very stretchy for the brain – congratulations on achieving them.
Love the mountain shots … we even had a brief flurry of snow last night! I’m keeping up with blogging and have a Memoir class we write for … so I’m ticking along …
Louise Penny is on the BBC’s World book club for May – talking about her novel ‘New Life’ … thought you’d like to know!! Cheers and enjoy the summer with the kids - Hilary
Good luck with Camp NaNo.
A murder mystery working backwards sounds interesting.
cleemckenzie said…
Your book sounds great and I'm impressed by anyone who does NaNo.
Chrys Fey said…
I'm participating in Camp NaNo for the first time. :) Good luck with your goal!
Jemi Fraser said…
I love Kait Nolan's books! She does such a great job with her characters - looking forward to this one!
NaNo always has me in the mood to draft a new story! Having fun with mine too :)
Ellen Jacobson said…
Good luck with Camp NaNo! I'm really intrigued by the idea of a murder mystery told backwards.
Deniz Bevan said…
Oh, thank you, Hilary, I hadn't known about that Louise Penny event!

Thanks everyone! Now I'm kind of excited to see if I can come up with a mystery...