Messing About in Boats, Photos Part 1/3

Boats!

One of my favourite lines from The Wind in the Willows is the one Water Rat says to the Mole: "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

In the 1980s, the Thames Television animated series (featuring Peter Sallis as Ratty!) featured, among its prop designers, a certain John Squire, who later went on to become the guitarist in The Stone Roses and an accomplished artist. According to IMDB, he later recalled, "I was only making props like miniature plates and chairs. That was the first job I ever had, apart from Tesco."



So here we have a number of photos of the Port of Founex village...and Mountie the dog, last seen at the end of June!

Mile marker! Well, kilometres

Upward view of a fig tree

Peeking in at someone's cars







Canicule is a heat wave. The elixir they serve includes ginger, lemon, sugar, and ice. I didn't try it because I had...



...a Big Lebowski (which turned out to be a white Russian)



Mountie!






Don't you just love messing about in boats?

Comments

Hi Deniz - I expect the kids loved their time 'messing about in boats' - I remember rowing with the family on Lake Windermere and being towed behind the boat as my father gave us rides ... and we picnicked on an island ... fun days - yes! The sustenance stop looks delicious! - cheers Hilary
Deniz Bevan said…
Oh, that sounds fun, Hilary! I visited Windermere once but it was such a long time ago, I only had a film camera at the time and I wonder where the photos are now? In a scrapbook somewhere...